Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BFG M/T owners, check in please.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jan 24, 2006.

?

I have...

1. never busted the sidewall on my BFG M/Ts

57.8%
  2. busted the sidewall on my BFG M/Ts

22.2%
  3. busted my nekkid a$$ all day and don't want to answer your poll.

20.0%
  1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, so i'm trying to decide who i'll buy my tires thru. if i go one way, i'll pay maybe a bit more than $100 more, but i'll have a guaruntee where if i bust the sidewall, they'll replace the tire for me for free. so, should i take my chances and hope i don't blow a tire in an un-repairable manner, or should i go the cheaper route? thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Not sure how this happened but it did

[​IMG]

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

i havent busted a sidewall on the trail. i have purposely backed over a rail road spike to go thru the sidewall so Discount Tire would replace my tire for only $35 :p:

4. colbystephens

i don't like the looks of that pole so far. :( i wanna see some legitamite good news, people. :D

5. colbystephens

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I would save the $100 and take my chances. What size are you looking at?? That $100+ is a good 2/3 the price of a new tire. Ive gone through 4 sets of BFG's and never got a warranty. Of course I dont wheel over sharp jagged rocks, mainly mud, trails, sand and small stream crossing. So if you plan on hitting some nasty rocks that could puncture a tire then it may be worth it too you.

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

We haven't done a tremendous amount of rock crawlin but we've never busted a sidewall. Got some pretty good quality scratches and what not but never busted.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I put a hole in the side wall of one big enough to put your foot in. I was in a mix of muddy rocks with a loot of wheel speed and almost no ground speed. Made a good mess. NTB gave me a new tire for $15. A "roadhazard protection plan" should be no more than 10% of the cost of the tire, at most.

9. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

havent hit anything to serious, but seems to be doing ok so far. ive chunked them good messin aroung on some real sharp rocks. i would go with a warrenty though.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Make sure offroad ventures are covered- Some might say, "you abused" your tire, so just make sure that it is a no questions asked.

"Sir, we dismounted your tire, and found 4 lbs of mud, a frog, and a twig in there."

That aside, I've chunked my BFG's pretty good, but they held up just fine.

The MTR sidewalls seem to be thicker, but I've seen more MTR's get ripped up than BFG's. Weird oddity I guess.

11. colbystephens

well, i like the look of this poll a little better now. :) the guy did specifically tell me that they would replace it if i put a stick thru the sidewall. in any case, i might be able to get them for 195/tire now thru some connections. i'm not too interested in the mtr's b/c i need a tire that wears well on the road.

12. atvaddict

atvaddict Registered Member

I got some worn bfg muts on my burb and they sidewalls were starting to crack from dry rot. it has been sitting for about 4 years, and and who knows how old the tires were before that. They held up pretty well in the little mud/trail wheeling that i did, but then i got a flat so i have bfg at's now. With a good replacement policy, I wouldn't worry about it if you like the tire.