Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BFG MT's in the mud

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Nov 13, 2000.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

BFG MT\'s in the mud

I've read several posts on how BFG's MT's suck in the mud. However, this wekeend, we went playing in the mud after all this rain. My bud's burban has them and they worked great. So whats the deal? Was thinking about getting a set myself.
    Even with the lugs full of mud they still just dug right in and and never stopped pulling.

Don't you buy no ugly truck!

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Re: BFG MT\'s in the mud

<font color=purple>I guess that's why they call em Mud Terrains ?</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

<font color=blue>" Deep ?........Is doesn't look that deep. "</font color=blue>

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Mine work great in mud, clever name huh? [​IMG]

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

EASY!!!! Was just wondering if anyone has gotten a set and found out that they aren't good in the mud. Just cause they call'em MT's doesn't mean they are good.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Many people don't consider BFG M/T's to be a true Mud-terrain, so don't feel like that was a dumb question. They are much better in mud than an A/T or any other less-aggressive tire, of course, but they aren't swampers, which is what many people consider the definition of an M/T.

"They tell me that you can make it to work without big tires. I'm still not convinced."

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It just depends on what you are comparing them to. Going from street or all-terrains to BFG mud-terrains makes a big difference in the mud. But BFG's are not Super Swampers, and I would say (only in my personal opinion) that the difference between BFG's and Swampers is not nearly as big as the difference between all-terrains and mud-terrains. Our 4x4 club probably has an estimated 60% running BFG mud-terrains or equivalent (General Grabber MT's, Goodyear MT's, etc.) and maybe 30% running Swampers. Most of our trailriding involves a lot of mud (not many rocks around here) and you really can't see a noticable difference between the tires. Of course, every vehicle is setup at least a little different and every driver has different driving abilities......but I have never seen an obtacle were all of the Swampers made it up and none of the BFG's made it, or vice versa.

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, 6.2. Thats what I was looking for. Thats where Im at right now. Lots of mud in Tennessee, and I do alot of street driving. But the swamppers here are about the same price as the BFG's if not cheaper, depending on which swampper. So thats where my delima lies, swampper or MT? DAMN IT, thers just so many choices and not enough brain cells to figure it out.

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well, if you do alot of street driving the BFG's beat the Swampers hands down. Nobody in our club uses any type of Swampers on their daily drivers due to the noise and fast wear they have on asphalt.

9. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

What about the SSR's? Thought (according to sales advertisment) they were supposed to be more quiet and longer tread life. Or is that just compared to the rest of the swampers? Or did I just answer my own question? LOL!!

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I want a set of SSR's but I'm holding out to see the new MT's. From the pics I've seen they look pretty tough but I have no clue when they're going on sale so it's getting hard to wait.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

11. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Well what about the AT BFG's... I got new ones and am putting them on this saturday... They look nice but anyone have an idea on how they drive in the rain/snow.. I Live in Washington... Mud driving info would be helpful too...
    Thanks!

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I had them before my Swamper's they worked great in the mud just tired of looking at them!

13. bherring

bherring Registered Member

Reddog, sorry to inform you that if you plan to ride tough trails (slippery mud, steep rocks, off-camber situations), then you will be disappointed with your AT's. One of my wheelin' buddies switched from AT's to MT's and he's still hyped about the huge improvement a year and a half later. Hey, look on the bright side. They'll be safer on the street especially if/when it rains and gets icy. -Beck.

81/350/350/208/D44/14B

14. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Speaking on tires...
    Anyone know anything about the Uniroyal M/T? Anyone have em on? Did they suck? Thanks

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

15. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Swampers tread life sucks.. Especially if you drive on the street alot.. I'm leaning towards the Dunlop MT's myself.
    I have Dunlop Radial Rover's on my S-10 and they have great traction on/off road/ Mud/rain etc.
    Hand's down the best tire I've ever put on my vehicles.
    I ran Wrangler AT's, BFG AT's, General Grabber AT's(which weren't bad at all).
    I am really impressed with the Dunlop's.

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

16. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I've heard that the Dunlop Mud Rovers don't do to well in mud. That they don't self clean well. I have a line on some retreads that use that pattern, and they are REDICULOUSLY CHEAP, but I'm wary of MT's that aren't great in mud. Anyone know if it's true or not?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

17. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

reddog64, I have had BFG AT's in the past. On the street, they are excellent in rain and snow. If rotated every 5000 miles, (front to rear, same side) they wear very well and last many miles. But in mud, they are just no good. The tread fills and they get very little traction. Maybe they should be called "Almost All Terrains". Anyway, I have Mud Terrains on my current K5, but because snow skiing season is near, I am replacing them with AT's before I head to the snow.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

18. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

Me and my dad decided BFG AT's really mean...all terrain(Except MUD). We had them on our 4x4 Nissan and then on two Blazers and they all got nowhere with the ATs.

My dad and I each run 33" Pro-Comp MTs on each of our Blazers. I haven't been off-road much since I got mine but they seem to work real well.

'86 Military Blazer with 4" Lift & 33" Tires

19. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

Somebody said something about a new BFG M/T coming out. Does anyone know anything else about this?

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"

20. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

There is a post back a month or 2 ago that said something about them. But personally I don't know nuttin bout'em.