Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BFG Mud Terrains

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Strahan, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Hi. I went to NTB last nite to price some 35x12.5 tires and they recommended BFG All Terrains. I saw the Mud Terrains next to em so I told the guy gimme them! More aggressive tread is good heh. He said nahhh you don't want those if you drive on the road at all as they are missing some lines in the tread or something and the truck will have no wet traction.

So.. for anyone with mud terrains.. how bad is it? I do drive a bit on roads as well as off so I don't want a dangerous tire, but I do want a good offroad grip. Think muds would be safe or should I go allterrain?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

allterains suck off road the mud do good on and off road go with the mud[​IMG]

wheeling pics

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I've had both the A/T & M/T...never had a problem with ether in the rain. Both tires will last you a long time so it's up to you!

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>The darker side of nonsense...</a>

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

He was referring to the siping in the ATs vs. the MTs in the wet. Yes, the ATs would be a better tire in the rain theoretically because of the great amount of siping, but not THAT much better. The ATs are also a bit better for snow because of the siping, but not enough to offset the MTs clear advantage in just about all off road conditions! If you look around (magazines, street, off road events) THE most popular tire is the BFg Mud Terrain! It excels in many environments and is a great tire. It is also quiet on the street (compared to other off road tires) and wears pretty well also.

Geez, you would think I worked for BFGoodrich or something...ha,ha [​IMG] But really, you can't go wrong with the Mud Terrains in my opinion (especially compared to the All Terrains!!)

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have had both. I agree with others that there really is no safety difference (from my experience) between the MT and the AT when it comes to wet conditions. Afterall, you should be slowing down in such conditions on pavement anyway with a lifted rig. The ATs are better than the MTs when it comes to snow and sand. Anything where a pattern that is too aggressive may tend to bury you. ATs may work a little better on rocks, too (I don't knwo as I never used them there) as the gaps between the lugs are smaller allowing more rubber to contact the rock surface. But, in mud or slick off-road conditions or general off-road conditions, I believe the MTs are a superior tire. And they look cool too!

By knowing how to drive your rig, what's its capabilities and limitations are, and just plain old street smarts, you can pretty much make any off-road tire work under any condition, just some better and with less effort than others. (Well, excpet for maybe the Thornbirds that don't seem to work well anywhere! [​IMG])

So, go with the tire you like most and learn to drive your rig with those shoes. Last thing you want to do is spend $600 on a set of tires, be unhappy with them, and then go back out and buy a whole 'nother set.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have had experience with both the BFG At's and Mt's. I have the At's on my Jimmy right now, but I am going to switch to Mt's. My Dad has Mt's on the rear of his Furd, and I like the way they perform. The At's are a great tire until you get into the mud. Then its all over. Personally I can deal with not having as much rain and snow traction. I live in Arizona, so I don't get much of either. Mt's are the only way to go for me, but for you pick what is best for your enviroment that you live and wheel in.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have both. The AT's are outstanding on the road. Love them. Handle great for a tire of it's size. Great in the rain. If your truck is on the road 99% of the time they are the way to go. If your trails are dry they will do fine for medium off roading.
    My Trail turck has the MT's. I said TRAIL TRUCK. not a daily driver. They are livable as a daily driver but after having both I would concider loosing some trail prowess for street performance if it was a Daily Driver. Very quite for a mud tire. Wear like iron. I do notice less traction in the rain and light snow. They do not handle near as well on the street. You know they are there every time you come to a stop or find a groove in the pavement.
    Out standing on the trails. They are not a TSL when it comes to mud but they hold their own. Side walls have held up well to the trails in my area (Tellico). Only a few times they have been the reason for my failure to get through a obsticle and it's mostly due to their size (32's). Looks like I will be staying with them when I put new tires on in the next month or so. Going to 35's and that should fix most of my stuck problems.
    On the trail I will concede the TSL and them are compairable in the dry on the types of trails in my area. Mud is a different story. The TSL's will win every time but that's not my thing and I avoide it when possible. TSL's also will take more sidewall abouse. The BFG will out last the TSL 3:1 no problem as far as wear goes.
    I have pretty well had my fill of NTB. Costco can get the Muds. Not sure if they can Get the AT's. I was just quoted $159 each mounted and ballanced with road hazard (they may loose their butt on that with me). NTB may not sell road hazard on the MT. They fought me on reselling it to me on one tire when I ripped a sidewall out.
    Costco will have to order them in and it will take a couple day's

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper