Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BFG mud vs. a/t?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77K5Blazer, May 20, 2001.

1. 77K5Blazer

77K5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am going to be purchasing new tires soon. I believe that I am going to go with 32x11.50's. I want a tire that wears all right on the road, and will last me at least a year, but I want it to be a good performer on the road. I just went wheeling with a buddy that has a bronco on 35" mud's and they did great off road! They weren't too loud on the road, cause his glass packs are louder. I can deal with the noise, but the wear is a big issue. I will go pretty easy on them when driving on asphalt, only the occasional burn off! But on gravel and dirt, I like to break em loose all the time. I have a/t's now, and they are all right, but don't perform as good as I want them to off-road. So...please give me your vote, mud vs a/t, and anbody with expirience please tell me how the wear, and how long you've had them and mileage on them. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

1977 Blazer, GM350, SM465, NP205, Dana 44/ 12bolt, 31x10.50r15 BFGs

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

a/t's are literaly slicks when they get mud in them and I heard that both the tires have almost the same wear rate so I'd go get the M/t's.

- SlyDog [​IMG]

3. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

I have had both muds and a/t and they both had about the same mileage on them before they needed to be replaced. Around 20,000 miles as an estimate, spun on pavment a few times. I have swamper SX's now and can live with the noise. The Muds are really quiet for a m/t and perform great. The a/t looked like glazed donuts as soon as the mud would stick. Purchase the Muds if you do any wheeling and even think about the Goodyear MTR's. They look sweet performed better then a (wider) swamper in the mud and are really quiet on the road.They came in third place out of nine in the mud test in this months 4wheel and are an actual street tire.

4. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

You only got 20,000 miles on each set of tires?! I was expecting closer to 40,000. I was considering BFG's but paying $600 for tires every two years, I think I'll go with something else.

5. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I am not sure where you are located but if you have to drive in the snow the AT is your tire. i am running 33 /12.5 and love them. quiet on the road, fine offroad (not mud), but great in the snow.

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

If you want to offroad... Go MT's all the way! AT's just don't cut it offroad. If you want the MT's at a cheaper price I have always had good luck with the General MT's. They usually last pretty good as long as you rotate the tire like you should. My last set of MT's got about 40k before I deemed them a little too weak for offroading (under 50% about)...I usually rotate mine every oil change just cause I have the access to a hoist and air... takes 2 minutes, but you would be fine going every other oil change or possiblly every third for tires that size.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

7. LA91Blazer

LA91Blazer Registered Member

Well I can't give any advice, but I can tell you the experiment I have just started. I just got my 5 33x12.5 RETREAD tires from HyTec retreding. $67 each! 25,000 mile warrenty! And you will never guess what they say on the side......BFG M/T!!!!!!
    This I was not expecting. :-)
    I'll keep ypu all posted on the tread wear
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hi-tec-retreading.com/>http://www.hi-tec-retreading.com/</A>
    good luck !

BlazingWolf
    [​IMG]

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Go with the mt's. I just bought the procomp. And after I bought them I was at a local tire shop and a guy pulled in with a 98 sub. He had procomps on his also. He said he already had 45,000 miles on them. They looked to have about 50% thread left. I hope I can get 45,000 on mine......Dan

9. 1big78k5

1big78k5 Registered Member

I'd have to agree with CaptCruch . I had a set of 35x12.50x16.5 General Grabber MT's on my "75 Power Wagon. I had them for a year and rotated them at every once and a while. When I sold the truck they still had about 75% tread. These tires work better than the BFG's in the mud. I have had the BFG muds. The Generals work better in the mud , are quiet on the road and wear well. The price is also a lot better. I plan to replace my beat 35" swampers with General MT's as soon as I have the dough!

'78 K5 SB400, T350, NP203, 35" Swampers