Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

-Bfgoodrich Vs Procomp-

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guest, Oct 8, 2003.

1. guest

guest Registered Member

Ok heres my story, I want to buy new tires, I Want some thing that will last a long time on the street and offroad. the tires will be used for daily driving, and lots of offroading. I want either the Bfgoodrich or Procomp mud terrain tires in 35x12.50 on a 15 inch rim. Now heres were my conflict comes in- I know Bfgoodrich tires last a LONG time, But Procomp is a new thing for me. Which Brand of tire will get longer mileage? And how much mileage will they get? and will they get as good of mileage as The bfgoodrich A/t's?

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Ive got a set of 33 BFG Muds on mine. Ive prob got close to 10k on them and theyre wearing excellent. All the guys at my shop where I work say they usually get 40k out of them....if you keep them aired up properly and rotate them regularly. I also like them because they ride pretty good for a mud tire.

3. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

bf's all the way they lasted me forever

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

BFG's fo' sho'. On my 'yota I got 60,000 miles on my first set, and I've got 30,000 on my second set and still LOTS of tread left.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have the exact tires you are talkin about, 35x12.50x15 ProComp MTs. IMO, the differences between the standard Procomp MT and BFG MT were minute... they really are very similar tires. Since I bought my procomps a few years ago, BFG has come out with the Mud Terrain T/A km... which afaik the only improvement was adding the "digger lugz" to the sidewalls. In some situations, when aired down, these prolly help a little so if the two tires were the exact same price I'd prolly get the BFGs. If the procomps were cheaper though, I'd go with them. I really dont see much of a difference between the two. Both are very good all around tires IMO.

j

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

A freind of mine got over 70k miles on a set of 33" BFG MTs on a 2001 3/4 ton Dodge with the Cummins, not a lightweight vehicle. Now the kicker... He replaced those with a set of Pro-Comp MTs and they're just about gone after 30k. Same vehicle, same rims, same everything.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My BFG M/Ts have out lasted my friends ProComp ATs.
    Me-4 yrs, 35,000 mi, lots of time off pavement w/ chances to get cut in the rocks, driving on the street at less than 20 PSI to get to a gas station to air up, basicly they have been used hard and still have a lot of tread. I destroyed one, hole in the side wall big enough to put your foot into. Tire was wedged between a tree stump and a rock, spining enough to make a smoke cloud, NTB warentied it for less than $20.
    Him-almost 4 yrs, 45,000 mi, all street, execpt two times on some powerline trails, 2 totally bald 2 ok for use as spares.

8. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

BFG's all the way... stopped by my buddys shop ladt night and they had two pro-comps that went bad within a couple weeks /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif..and I guess it's a regular thing.

9. guest

guest Registered Member

How bout as far as the noise? Are they noisy? Right now im thinkin of goin to pick up a set of the bf's. sounds like there exactly what i want.

10. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

The BFG's are also slightly bigger, I measured my new 35's against my friends new Procomp MTs and I think mine are about half an inch taller than his. The tire noise doesn't bother me at all, the wife and kids noise is a whole other story. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I've heard good things about the Interco TRXUS MT. Supposedly, they wear about like BFG's, have less road noise, and I know they have BEEFY sidewalls. Prices are comparable as well. Worth looking into.

12. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

BFGs arent too noisy at all. I like them all around.

13. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Ive had both and I like procomps better got about 10k more miles out of them and to me they did better of road and same in noise, personally Id go w/ procomp and they have buy 3 get 1 free, so they will be cheaper to.

14. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

dont listen to that guy go with the BFG's

15. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    dont listen to that guy go with the BFG's

[/ QUOTE ]
    your right dont listen to the guy who has ran both and just stateing the facts about running them /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. jekbrown

wth?!?! the entire point of posting a message like this is to gather as much info as you can from everyone that can contribute so you can make an informed decision about what to run... its not a popularity contest or some sort of consensus building exercise. "dont list to that guy"... good grief. slap urself f00. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

j

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Don't know anything about ProComp except their inherit gay appearance.

I buy BFG for two reasons. The first is my first set lasted for about 70K miles over 5 years and they gave me good traction. The second is they support the off-road community through sponsorships and contigency funds. Haven't seen ProComp doing anything like that..............

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree with the guys that the Pro-Comps look similar. Since I've never owned a set, I won't comment on the mileage.

I ran my BFG M/Ts probably 20,000+ miles and sold them to my friend just recently with 1/2 tread. They were the last of the old style M/Ts, purchased in December 2000.

19. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't know anything about ProComp except their inherit gay appearance.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm...

[​IMG]

vs...

[​IMG]

other than the slightly bigger little side lug thingies, these two tires look a LOT a like. calling on "inherantly" gay and the other not is just /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif appearance-wise they are damn near the same tire.

[ QUOTE ]
    The second is they support the off-road community through sponsorships and contigency funds. Haven't seen ProComp doing anything like that..............

[/ QUOTE ]

we agree here. Im still waiting on my new crawlers from BFG tho... sent em an email asking for them to sponsor me, no response as of yet...

j

20. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

all tires are quiet compared to boggers on the street.mine sound like a prop plane,brrrrr-slow down-rrooorrrr-speed back up -brrrr. and everyone around looks at you like what the ?? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif