Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

bfg\'s

I know the bfg at vs mt debate has been run into the ground but i haven't found many spacific answers to these questions. I've heard that at's and muds wear at about the same rate. Does anyone have experiance with both? Is this generally true? I would think the muds would wear somewhat faster. Also, is their performace on pavement generally similar? I know the at's are going to perform better but is it really a signifigent diferance? I don't drive my Blazer like a sports car but I wanna be as safe as possible on the windy mountain roads, especially when the road surface is wet or icy.
    Thanks

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Re: bfg\'s

I have 33x12.50x15 BFG MT's on my 68 F*** Bronco and they seem pretty good for noise and tire wear. Do notice they seem to roll around more on pavement then I have experienced with AT's. Traction good off road, far better then AT's. Tire wear is good, have about 19,000 on them and they have better then half the tread left. I've run BFG AT's before and got very good tire mileage, 48-52,000 from them. I have learned one thing about tires, rotate & balance every 5000 miles, check air pressure, and watch your driving style.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Its kind of like every other upgrade you do to your truck. When you get done with your 300 horse engine, you wish you would've made it 350. When you get done installing your 4 inch lift you wish a week later that it was 6. Same way for me when I got 35 inch AT's on another Blazer several years ago. So the next time around on a Jeep, I threw on some 35 inch MT's. They were just a tiny bit louder, but seemed to wear almost exactly the same and they were OK on wet roads too. But they were about 100 times quieter than the Swampers I run now, so its all relative. Go for the MT's.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Okay, here goes. I have two (actually three) sets of tires that I run on my 79. A set of 33x12.50x15 BFG MT's on Eagle 589's 15x10 rims, a set of 33x10.50x15 BFG AT's on Progressive 15x8.5 rims, and the third is 31x10.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler ATS's (trying to sell this set). Of the two BFG's, the best for street wear is the AT's, wet/dry and light off roading. When it gets muddy, the MT's go on. The MT's seem to wear faster than the AT's. On ice and packed snow the AT's seem to have an edge (siping seems to be the trick). On loose snow, the MT's work the best, the AT's seem to fill up the voids and become slick (they do the same thing in mud). I went with the 10.50 AT's for a little less rolling resistance and lower interior noise level (the 2 chamber Flowmasters don't help much though). I also notice when it rains or there is loose snow, the 12.50 seemed to pull a little when I hit a puddle or soft snow. Why two sets? I'm from Fla originally and still travel to that region. The wifes from Texas and we travel there quite a bit to work the cattle ranches. The Blazer's in the shop out back getting the AT's put on right now for a trip to Texas next weekend. That's my .05 worth.

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

On ice any mud tire sucks! I would gowith bfg a/t's.