Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bi-curious

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Craig Artzner, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Never seen that combo before, just one or the other. Don't the propane burners use a different fuel mixer, in place of a carb ?

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I was doing some research about a while ago and this is what I came up with (on our older trucks, I have no idea how well they work on new FI'd ones)

You can run a truck three ways

Dedicated Gasoline--i think we all know how this works.

Dedicated propane--you can run a previously gassed motor with no ill effects although propane has a higher octane rating, therefore you must retard or advance (I forgot which) the timing to deter pinging. You replace the complete carb with basically an injector plate and the other typical propane setup. Now if you build a motor specifically for propane you can get more everything out of it as per the higher octane.

Gas/propane setup--you basically put an injector plate above the carb(with the typical propane stuff) and you run a switch to either run propane or gas. Now with the propane being a higher octane you basically set the timing to run decent with both, and that is typically why people say you loose power with a bi setup. now theoryetically (sp?) you can get out and change the timing everytime you change but who is really going to do that?

If I do it im going to run a dedicated propane

4. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A lot of construction equipment such as boom lifts, scissor lifts, fork lifts etc run gas and propane options. I'm in this business and they seem to be very reliable.

5. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Alot of the stuff at work is also a gas/propane. I never really looked at it though since we only run propane indoors.

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

i have been doing alot of calling around and reading on this subject for my 07 chevy

cost 2000 to 2500 for the set up plus a tank 400-1000 for my 6.0 motor

i am on the fence but my mind is really on this. i use 2 or sometimes almost 3 tanks a week. 1 tanks is 34 gallons, call it 70 gallons a week, thats 280 gallons a month on a very conservative guess. so more kike 300 gallons.

3000 cost to convert

propane is on avaerage 1.99 or less here, gas is right at or under 3.00

in 10 months I brake even. I suspect the price of fuel to lower and climb and continue to level off higher and higher.

some benifits,

propane less depended on issues oversea's?
    I can store propane on my own property with little paper work
    tax write off

drawbacks.. fill ups are not as easy to find, upfront cost, and mounting the tank.