Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bias Ply vs Radial on Hummer Beadlocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clubba68, Nov 16, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I was looking into getting some hummer wheels and have found some of the older style military ones with 8 bolts holding on the outer ring. I have read that "It is recommended for bias-ply tires only." What do you guys know? I'm thinking I would rather have the radials because it is my daily driver, but would it be possible to run them on the hummer rims or is that just bad news?
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Come on, someone has to know something.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Andrew
    Well I don't know the exact specifics but I have yet to see any 12 blolt (raial) Hummer wheels running on the trail or the web. Also, what tires are you planning on running? The biggest 16.5 Radial would be a 37 Goodyear MT (oldschool style). The bigger tires are usually 16.5 especially a TSL.
    If you find a big radial 16.5 tire let me know.

Thanks

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

37" will be about the biggest that I will run. Right now I have 35x15x15 Swampers.
    Apparently the 12 bolt is the civilian hummer wheels and can be used with a radial. The 8 bolt are the military style and should only be used with bias ply.
    Hummer Beadlocks

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've seen this hashed out on Pirate and the general consensous is run what ever you want on either wheel. There are lots of users over there with mixed combos and no problems. They also confirmed that you can mix the beadlock inserts between the 8 and 12 bolt wheels as well.

If you search over there you'll find more than you will want to read but it's all there.

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Interco makes a 38x15.50-16.5 in TSL Radial, SSR Radial, and Trxus Radial. Ground Hawg also makes a 38x15.50-16.5 Radial. Last but not least Parnelli Jones makes a 38x15.50-16.5 Dirt Grip Radial. You are not limited to a narrow 37 in a 16.5 if you want a radial. There might be more but those are the ones I know about.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

just one question... why do you want bead lock hummers on your daily driver? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

It was just a thought. I don't know how much longer it is going to be my DD. At once I finish the build up I will still have my brother's Toyota (after the head gasket is fixed) which I will use as my DD. Even if it is my DD or part-time DD /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif it will still see the trails at least once a week.

9. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

as far as the military is concerned there is a difference, and they do run different beadlocks. i have never tried swapping them to see what happens. personally i like the bias beadlocks better. easier to install. those damn one piece rubber inner doughnuts are a PITA...

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    just one question... why do you want bead lock hummers on your daily driver? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you run boggers on a street truck? Just because it's his daily driver doesn't mean he doesn't wheel the truck... And beadlocks are nice when wheeling... My truck is my daily driver so I guess I don't wheel it /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Why do you run boggers on a street truck? Just because it's his daily driver doesn't mean he doesn't wheel the truck... And beadlocks are nice when wheeling... My truck is my daily driver so I guess I don't wheel it /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Wow, slow down there cowboy! I never said he doesn't wheel the thing I said "why would he run beadlocks on a truck that sees both street and offroad duty like my truck. Beadlocks are illegal on road here, boggers are not last time I checked. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I run boggers on my street/ weekend warrior truck because I like having traction in mud and they aren't that bad on the road. I don't give a sh!t if you wheel your DD or not. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif you have bothered me before about my truck, why don't you shut that hole in your face and worry about your own damn truck! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Have you ever seen a hummer him before? They arent your normal beadlock and they ARE DOT approved, thus not illegal.

13. rjfguitar

I have not seen one but true beadlocks are illegal on road.

14. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

They are "true" beadlocks, just built much better than aftermarket stuff.

15. willyswanter

So much hostility /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Beadlocks are illegal on road here,

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, actually Hummer rims are DOT approved and it's stamped right on them and they are a true beadlock, double beadlock at that, much nicer than most aftermarket rims.

Geesh must be someones time of the month /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    why do you want bead lock hummers on your daily driver?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    I said "why would he run beadlocks on a truck that sees both street and offroad duty like my truck."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure doesn't look like what you said...

And no I didn't bother you about your truck, I asked why you ran such a wide rim then you went off on me and everyone else that joined the band waggon. Your fight was with all the poeple bitching about alot of lift and little tires and no trimming stuff, geesh.

16. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

As has been said, I would like them because it would be nice to air down for some of the trails we run around here in Eugene and not have to worry about blowing a bead. I thought the hummer wheels would be cool because they are NOT illegal. They are one of only 2 manufacturers (maybe 3) that I know of who make DOT approved beadlocks and the others are astronomically priced whereas the Hummer wheels can be found for a quite reasonable price. That was just my thinking. Yes it is my DD, yes I do offroad it, yes I do like beadlocks, no I probably don't absolutely need them, and yes, I want them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Do they balance well though? I think beadlocks would be cool, but I'd hate to have any more vibes than the TSLs give me already.

18. willyswanter

I can get up to about 77 mph before vibration starts and thats with absolutely no balancing, just mouse balls floating around in the tires /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Which beadlocks do you have?

20. willyswanter

8 bolt hummer

[​IMG]