Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bias-ply vs Radial Tires - Real World Use.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Iron_Weasel, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

Alright, some of you probably remember my recent thread asking for help in deciding on a tire to get.
    I've narrowed the field down to two.

Now, I like both of them and the prices on them differ by $10 so it's come down to the difference in construction. The LTB is a bias-ply tire whereas the TrXus is a radial. I'm aware of the pros and cons of each construction method.

I have never had a bias-ply tire, so I'm looking for information from anyone who has actually wheeled with bias-ply tires, and especially those who have wheeled with both bias-ply and radial tires.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ive wheeled with both... but the tires were so different (35" Procomp MTs vs 39.5" TSLs) that Im not sure they make for the best bias vs radial comparison. The TSLs definitely get flat spots.. and for a dialy driver I'd almost certainly go with radials.. they are just more on-road friendly. Offroad, bias tires have the advantage when it comes to airing down and using a bit of sidewall for traction. I didn't read all of your other thread... how are you going to use your rig?

j

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

My 2 cents...

when I bought my truck, it had 4 bias ply tube-type tires on it, on the 4 original split rims. the only time they ever flatspotted was when it sat for a week or more, and since it was my DD at the time I didn't have much trouble with it. of course your kidneys would be singing after a long drive because of the 35 year old 3/4 ton springs and crappy shocks, but the tires were just fine. 32" tall, iirc.
    edit: the tires pretty much sucked offroad, but they were el cheapo farm store brand tires, and they were pizza cutters.

4. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

It's not going to be a DD, I have 2 other vehicles for that. So about the only street driving it'll see is getting to and from wheeling spots.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If it isn't going to see much street action get the LTB's. They aren't very street freindly but will probably outperform the Trxus offroad and be tougher also.

Harley

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

what type of wheeling are you gonna be doing>?

ive got a set of LTBs. pretty nice tire for the money. if your gonna be playing in mud pits alot, just going back and forth thru the stuff, get the LTBs. thats where they shine. i think every other kinda wheeling the MT's would be just as good if not better. i almost bought a set of truxus MT to replace my A/T's and LTB's. but i decided that i do too much street driving. i think the MT is a really good tire, only place the LTB would be better is mud.

another thing to consider is how far are you drivng to and from wheeling spots. LTB's require a ton of balance weight, mine were never completely balanced. i think there wasnt enough room on the rim for more weight. if your driving more than 30 miles one way the MT's would be a much better choice.

bias vs radial offroad- bias are generally tougher tires, tougher sidewalls, not quite as good of flex. i have to air mine down to about 7-8 psi to make them conform to rocks and such. havent popped a bead yet but its always in the back of my mind. radials mid teens and they practically flat.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, thats how I use my rig. I'd go with the LTBs if I was you.

j