Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bias/Radial comparison

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by morphed86k10, Jun 18, 2003.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I know the general pros/cons of different tire constructions, but I've never owned a set of bias tires so I really don't know just how extensive the difference is. I know they ride worse on the highway, but is it like washboard road rough or sunglasses flying off the dash rough? What about mileage differences? I'd like to hear some testimony of people who have had both types on the same rig and give some mileage numbers, both for the life of the tires and gas milage.

I'm kind of torn between some bias TSL's (in either 36 or 38) or a 35ish radial for a 16" rim.

Right now with 33" radials I'm getting 10-12 overall, I'd give bias a shot as long as that didn't drop too much.

Also, I've heard and can understand that radials are better for sand use, but is that more of a theoretical thing or would I really notice a difference with comparably sized tires? Half of my wheeling is sand and the other half is really rocky trail use. As in lots of medium sized sharp rocks. Thats the motivation for the bias also, as I've read they ride better at slow speeds over rocky terrain, a benefit of thier tread flexing more.

2. Sinful_Nature

Sinful_Nature Registered Member

I had 36" Bais Swampers on my rig before my 38 Radials. I do more rock crawling than anything. The bais offered me lower tire pressure and better flex in the sidewall. Wear wasn't to bad with the bais, but it is not my daily driver. Nor do I know the gas milage I am getting (afraid to check /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

I would say if you are driving the rig on the road a lot go with radial, if it is more of trail rig, go with bais. But then again, we don't have a lot sand up here in the Northeast.

I would still be running Bais if I didn't get a good deal with the radials I have now.

Not sure if I was any help, but I tried /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

i have bias ply 44" gumgo monster mudders. they arent as bad on the highway than i though they would be. at around 40 they start shaking pretty good, then at 45 most of it goes away. cruising down the highway at 50-55 just seems like im driving on a crappy road. nothing too bad, just not fun if your stuck in the truck for extended periods of time. im sure it wont be as bad with the smaller tires you want to run. another drawback is if you let it sit for a few days without driving it, you get flatspots in the tires that eventually go away as you drive it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but i love them.

4. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I have ran 38.5" bias swampers on one of my old blazers and oh boy those tires did awesome offroad but had a mind of their own with wandering. I currently am running 38" swamper radials and absolutely love them for daily driving, no wandering and no flat spots. But with any swamper they are a soft compound tire and don't wear the best for daily driving. My radials are getting a little longer road life then my bias ply did. You can go with a 38 bias or radial, swamper does make both in that size (38.5"x16.5" bias or 38"x15.5" radial). Hope it helps.

5. morphed86k10

[ QUOTE ]
    You can go with a 38 bias or radial, swamper does make both in that size (38.5"x16.5" bias or 38"x15.5" radial).

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem is that I have 16" rims that I want to keep.
    Thanks for the replies, anyone have any comments on fuel mileage differences between the two?

6. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

i have 38.5" bias groundhawgs and they handle better on the street than my dads 31" radials. I like the bias better myself.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had two sets of tires for my Jimmy and I've gone on fairly long road trips with both sets. Set one are 35x12.5x16.5 General grabber MT's and are radial. Freeway mileage with those was a best of 13.7 and 13 average.

The other tires are 36x12.5x15 TSL's and they are bias ply. Freeway mileage with those was closer to 12 with no ther changes to the truck.

The TSL's are 100% better off road...

Rene

8. JDBlazer454

Ok I get ya /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Swamper does make a 36 x 12.5R16 in a TSL radial, $209, and they make a 38 x 13R16 in a TSL bias, $208. I remember coming across that problem of finding good tire sizes and width's when I had 16" rims.

9. morphed86k10

So roughly a mile per gallon drop, thats not bad at all. The bias 38" TSL's are looking better all the time...
    Any comparison to radials in sand?

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've wheeled in the sand exactly once...on the TSL's. I had them down to 7 psi or less. My guage isn't very accurate down that low. I thought the tires performed well, but I've never been able to compare how the radials would do in the same stuff.

It does help that the TSL's are about 30% wider than my radials even though they're both 12.5 wide.

Rene

11. JDBlazer454

My 38 radials I have now before they were mine years ago wheeling in sand next to my then current 38.5 bias in sand was pretty close but after airing down the bias put more usable meat where you needed it. I seemed to get around a little better on bias then he did on the radials. The bias float better on the sand and the radials dug (good for mud but cause a world of problems in sand).

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I am getting the 38" Ground Hawg radials. The messure out at 37" tall when full inflated and on the truck, on 12" wide rims. 38x14.50x16.5. The Ground Hawgs wear real well and last a long time. They fit my needs the best. Only thing is they're around $300.00 per tire.

13. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Do you need sidewall protection when in the sand, or on the rocks ?
    If you answer yes then the Bais ply is your tire !

Good luck