Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bias vs. radial

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddyblzr, Feb 28, 2005.

1. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

hey guys i had a quick question about bias play versus radial. what is the biggest difference in the two? do they wear about the same or way different
    any info is appreciated.

2. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

o and my truck a 1990 k5 blazer with a dana 60 and a 14bolt detroits and 4.10 gears. it will see alot of mud and street driving. its going to soon be either a dana 44 and a rear 14 botl or a 12 bolt. my offroad truck will see most of the offroading duties and my blazer is more street and will still mud alot.
    thanks

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well my 40" bias hawgs take about 10 miles to warm up and go round again... once I stop somewhere for 1 hr.. they get flat spots again...

but if I could buy 40" radial hawgs... I still wouldnt...

from what I hear the bias also have thicker sidewalls

4. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

10 miles?! geese i hardly drive 10 miles at a time! i didnt know an hour and flatspots would appear again. i was planning on buying 40" ss bias plys...

muddyblazer... are you the same muddyblazer from 4wheelparts forums too?

5. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

ya i knew about the flat spots i am more worried about the bias tire wearing alot faster than the radial. if the difference is not that big i think im gonna go with the bias. mainly cuz of price, and the tread is spread out more. so far what ive been thinking of overall for tires bias or radial is
    35X14X15 gumbo mudders
    35X14X15 ground hawgs
    35X12.50X15 trxxus mud terrains
    those are the only ones i can think of off the top of my head. any more suggestions? im running a 4 inch tc lift that sags a big but i plan on putting in some ord zero rates up or a 1 inch body.

**my 33 mud terrains i have rubbed a little on the tail end of the front fenders from flexing really fast on in trails or going down stuff too fast. i plan on cutting the trail end off though cuz it covers the bolts taht hold in the fender well now. rubbing is very rare though

6. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

ha ya its me from 4wp thats forum is down now im thinking about starting a build up thread in here on my pickup once i get it moving. i just bought a new cab for it that is perfect minus some surface rust and a dent on the roof for 50$$$ when the guy told me that i almost passed out. but i got my frame painted so ill start taking pics and posting up in here about it. i need to so i can get everyones opinions.

7. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

hows ur k5 doin blazerpro. havent heard much about it lately.
    but back to the topic at hand anyone have any experiences with bias ply on the street. do they wear alot faster than radials and any other things about them.

8. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

mines good i just bought a new tough country lift and maybe will put it on this weekend. 4wp forum sucks bc the suzuki guys came in and were being gay. also it was like 10 guys in there. here you get responces much faster from many more people. i like it!

9. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

ha ya there was about 6 people that knew anythign worth talking about it was a fun forum though. the suzuki guy is pretty cool smart as hell he just wanted to screw with people and he thought it was bad that the 3 toyota poeple didnt use the forum so when someone would ask a question chevy guys would either know it or go try to find out about it. it was all good until the forum died happens at least once a year

10. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

anyone else besisdes rootbreaker have experience with bias ply tires on the street? anyone run both and have a comparision?

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

any tire bigger than 12.50 will rub alot more. just trimming the lip on the back of the fender probly wont be enuf with a 14.00 tire. every truck and tire combo is different, but i know on my truck, with 33x12.50 on 8" rims they clear my fender trimming. with 33x13.50 on 10" rims they hit pretty hard. both have same backspacing.

bias generally get fairly poor mileage onroad. they also have more rolling resistance so they rob power and MPG. you really have to pay attention to things like air pressure and rotation to get max miles out of them.

if you drive more than 50% percent of the time on road i'd go with radials.

i swap between my bias swampers and radial a/t's and the difference is night and day. with swampers i have alot less power, wanders on the freeway, scary above 70mph, 2-3 lower MPG, slower braking due to heavier tire. And they never truely ride smooth, even after the flat spots go away, there's still vibes that come and go. rebalancing doesnt help.did i mention they take 10 lbs of weight to balance? IMO radials are the way to go unless its a trail rig. well worth the added cost for a dual purpose machine.

12. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I've run both bias and radials in 38" - 39.5" range. I prefer the bias ply. The Interco TSL's warm up fairly quickly, they have taken a lot of abuse, and I read they have tougher sidewalls than radials.

But it is not a DD.

13. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

thats what i figured i look like i have alot of space but when i hit hard bumps at speed or flex real fast i can hear it kinda nip the fenders. i was thinking about the trxxus mud terrains they are fairly cheap and from what ive heard do pretty good in the mud. they are fairly cheap to. a 34 is under 200 and a 35 is just over 200 pretty good price. my bfg are pretty new and unless i find a buyer ill have htem for awhile i was just seeing the difference and kinda trying to narrow down the millions of choices. id like to get some bigger ones right now but i dont have hte money and its all going into my trail rig. i should start a buildup thread soon once i get some pics going

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

do you run without the swaybar? makes a pretty big difference on how much they rub.

i've been looking at those trxxus tires too. looks like a pretty decent dual purpose tire. i want to swap my 33x13.50 tsl's for a 34-35x12.50 tire. the bfg mud terrians are supposed to be pretty good as well. around the same price.

15. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

i run with sway bar usually i have disconnects ive only taken them off twice though. never really needed to for what i do. when i took them off i rubbed alittle but when there on i still rub some.

16. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i always take mine off. even just going to the mud pits. it is smoother going over uneven terrain. BTW there are a few new tires in one of the 4x4 mags that supposed to be pretty good. i'll see if i can dig that issue up.

17. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

im pretty happy with my bfgs id prefer a wider tire i like the wide low stance. my friend had them on the back of his 2wd and they were worn and he said they did good even worn. i might get them there farely cheap and there different not many peopel have them. it will depend on my funds when the time comes. i might go with a 35 because when my trail truck is done my k5 will only see street and little bits of mud every now and then. i dont have to worry as much about flex and alot of offroading.

18. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

do you have the bfg a/t or m/t?

i found that article, its in the april issue of four wheeler. the two tires that i like were the yokohama geolander MT+ and the Cooper discoverer stt. the geolander is a more aggressive, but the cooper tire looks like it would be a great tire for a DD.

19. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

ive had both i love my mud terrains. no road real road noise, do great on street and clean out pretty well offroad. if they were wider id love mine. only real reason i actually went with them was because the previous owner had bought two of them and never bought teh other two so i only had to buy the other two so it was way cheaper. if i didnt have htem i would have a 35 but money is real tight when building another truck. i like them though. good all around tire from what ive seen

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you'll be doing alot of street driving, then I'd say radial tires.