Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bias vs Radial

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Jul 27, 2001.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Who's got the low down dirt ass guts on the difference between bias and radial tires. PRo's, con's, theory....
    The hole kitten kabootle!!!

I pay ya to work it not jerk it![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Bias plys flat spot worse, could be wrong though.

3. Bias are better off road,they flex better,and the sidewalls are alot thicker.But they have not so good street maners,they get flat spots that can jar your teeth untill they warm up.They also wonder on the road a bit more and are a little loser in curves.
    I would keep radials for a good on/off road truck,but I would go bias for a mostly off road rig.
    Plus the tech. in the new radials are hard to beat for a good all around tire,just my $.02

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

In a bias ply tire the cords go at a 45deg angle to the tred in a over lapping X pattern. There are also as many ply's in the sidewall as in the tred (sidewalls as puncture resistant as tred). In radials the cords go from bead to bead at a 90deg angle. There are usually only 2 or 3 ply's in the sidewall of a radial and 5 or 6 in the tred.

I have bias ply TSL's on my truck as it is for fun only. When I aired them down to 8psi you could barely even tell.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

5. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

I fully agree with what was said above. i am still waiting for Bogger Radials. I think I might be waiting a while, like say when I cant drive anymore.

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!