Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Arse Military Tires????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5er4Life, May 25, 2005.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

What do you guys think of running those 46" GL-20 pilot military tires? They are big but you can get them pretty cheap and they are everywhere. I really like the tread pattern but Im afarid I will have to go with some rockwells. I doubt my dana 60 and 14 bolt can handle those things. Any downsides to those tires as well? Whats the wear like on the street, do they last longer than tsl's? They dont have to have good street manners but I will use them on the street to get to the trails, sometimes up to 250 miles in one direction. Enlighten me oh holy ck5ers, give me suggestions and more ideas that I may not have already thought of when considering those monsters. I know I need 20" rims but thats not a big deal. Just a thought but might be a good alternative to a grand in tires.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...em=7975594795&category=66478#ebayphotohosting

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

military tires

I'm interested in this info as well....

Marv :ears:

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

big tires

ive got two friends that run the IROK 49's and they got 60's and 14 bolt's and there is no problem.........but they do have the atlas 5.0 t-case with 4.88 gears CTM shafts and joints

4. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have also been looking that these but I think that they weight alot more then a 49" irok. that is my worry. they should wear great I think.

5. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, them suckers are ungodly heavy... I personally wouldnt run them unless I have big-shafted rockwells or something.

j

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

You would think they would run quite nicely on the street as far as wear goes. Military tires designed for heavy loads on a light truck. But for axles I would be a little concerned, maybe I could just beef up the 1-tons that are in there now. I dont think I will be running in the rocks all that much anyhow, more mud probably but I do venture into both. The bling of these tires definitely have a great appeal. Does any have any personal experience or know anybody that runs these things. One guy from TTC a few years back had these on his truck and they seemed to do pretty well. It was the white truck with the red exo-cage. He had rockwells and a big block I think. Since I dont know much about them if you did air down and had 2-piece rims would you have problems spinning the rim in the tire or popping a bead? Do they make 20" beadlocks? Yeah rollin on beadlocked dubs. :haha:

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

John at Stazworks makes 20" beadlock rims. He has a good reputation as a Vendor on Pirate from what I have seen.

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They are heavy they ride really good but you have to go to a truck tire place to get them balanced I know a guy who put 15,000 miles on some of the ones that are 46" tall couldn't even tell. On a blazer I think you could get probably 60,000 miles out of a set but man these things are heavy like well over 200 lbs for just the tire on the 46" tall ones ( I think these are 12.00R20s)

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

11. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think that is too much tire for a D60 to handle without imminent breakage. I myself wouldn't try running them. You might post your question on the Rockwell forum at http://www.ouversonengineering.com/home . I'm sure you could get some feedback from the fellows there and they'll give you a 'nay' or 'yay' on the subject.

12. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thats would be awesome to get that kind of life out of them. That sucks they are so heavy. ANyone know of someone running them with 1-tons? Stock or otherwise. So far the weight is the only downside that I can think of, cant beat the price you can get them for. Im not too worried about balancing them, probably some equal or something for that. I think I am seriously considering these things.

13. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Now THIS I gotta see ... you gonna put 50" tires on the treasure buggy? :haha:

-- A

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The weight of those tires, including what a 20" steel beadlock would weigh, sounds like the biggest issue. A couple years ago one of the big magazines built a Superduty to use those tires and took it on the Ultimate Adventure. A while back they did a recap article and listed everything they broke, which included just about every piece (multiple times) of both the custom front 60 with all 35-spline stuff and the rather beefy 10.25" rear axle. I believe the article basically stated they couldn't run those tires without expecting to break parts regularly. The following year they installed 39" Krawlers and had no drivetrain issues while running trails like Tellico.

15. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Is that Ford running on the Misfits property? I have seen video of that truck before in Misfits property... Seems like South Jersey's deal with trucks is big or nothing.

16. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I will let you know how they ride. I have 4 getting dropped off at the house. :D As for rims well I am just going to run these 20x9'sWheels :cool1: My price plus tires $750 :D

17. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

18. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

reminds me of him

19. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Those things are freakin boat anchors, I talked to a dude at stazworks today and he said about 240 pounds a damn tire! Without rim! :eek1: :eek1: Now I am considering my options, which opens a whole other can of worms. Most definitely going to need rockies under there to keep from braking stuff, the guy at stazworks was saying that stock rockwells dont have any problem handling those tires but even a beefed front 60 would be at its braking point. But one huge upside is the tread life. He said He knows someone who has about 20,000 miles on a set (said truck is daily driver : :eek: ) and have barely a quarter tread worn off!!! One set would last for ever. Right now there is a huge surplus of them due to the war. I know little about rigging up rockwells other than it can be expensive, as far as brakes and what not, and also can be a pain. Does anyone have any light to shed in this area, the guys at pirate seem to do it more but I never see any here talk about it much. Oh and I am in the process of building a mean little 496 for the blaze so it should have no problem handling those tires with the right gear ratio. I am going to take my 383 out and put it in my newly aquired '72 K-20 :cool1:

20. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm running Michelin XLs in the 11.00R16 (38") size. I don't think they'd be all that outstanding as an off road tire, but the sure are sweet on the street. I bought them from a surplus dealer who has wharehouses in Alabama and Texas. He sells just about everything from 53s down to H1 tires. PM me for his name and #. I would much rather buy from this guy than anyone on Ebay. I was local enough to pick my tires up from his warehouse rather than have them shipped and he really did me right. See my post in the daily driver thread for a pic of the tires on my M1008 with 4" lift.