Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BIG articulation shackle flip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89Jimmy, Apr 2, 2000.

1. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Would all you shackle flip guys check out this site and let us know what you think? I'm thinking safety on the highway concerns. Anything you don't like about this setup? It looks pretty cheap to build.
    http://www.users.uswest.net/~ruthspear/index3.html
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

I don't know alot about shackle flip kits ..... but that one looks pretty Jerry - rigged to me .... I don't think I'd want it on my Blazer! But that's just my opinion... let's see what some of the other guys have to say.

What do you think guys/gals ? Does it look o.k. to you ?

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Ok, lets imagine this. You are driving down the road, minding your own business and some idiot driving a low rider pulls out in front of you. You slam on the brakes and in your trucks attempt to stop your front locks up, and your rearends shackles "super extend" due to the style setup that is there, you have about 4" or so more distance the rear end can pick up before the weight of the rear axle is available to weigh the truck down. This 4" can be a large difference in stopping distance because your truck isnt using its rear brakes due to no weight being applied to that axle. As far as roadability, I'd say no. Those types of setup's don't offer any safety on the road. if there was some type of safety pin that you could pull to use it offroad and reinstall when on road, that would be great. Some thing like a disconnectable swaybar.

Corey
    88K5

Come on man, I cut people out of cars for a living, no reason to respond to your 911 call...

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

The guys name is Marvin Springer and if you email him, he will tell you straight out how it drives on the road and how much you have to get used to it. I beleive he pins the front and the rear closed when on the road.

I am pretty positive that I get very close to the same flex he does and I have a normal setup, just have tweeked it and greased it and she flexes like mad.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>