Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Bear Report

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen91, Jan 28, 2001.

1. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

WHAT A GREAT TIME! We left the meeting point at 8:00am and met 2 others up in the mountains. We were on the trails around 10:00 or so. 6 Blazers, 1 Chevy truck and 1 Jeep. There was alittle snow on the ground, about 6"-12". We got Kennedy some good photos going through a creek and trying to climb the hill on the other side. Kpanza and the Jeep were the only two to make it up. With the ice and the teirane, it was a double locker and tall tire hill. I tried it with my gov. and 33's, but didn't get far. After that we followed fire roads. That may sound boring, but add snow to that. Then add more snow. And more sno.......Well you get the idea. After all was said and done, the rear group(we got broke into three) got off the trail at around 9:30 or 10:00. Lots of winching! Read about all the details in 4Wheel and Off-Road in April or May, I think.

I would like to say thank you to everyone who was on the run. We must do again, but NOT in the snow.[​IMG]

Pics coming soon.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds fun damn i need to get off this pc and go out on the trails lol

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like you guys had a great time! I still wish I coulda been there! I just got back myself, played around on Eagle ridge with some guys today, found some snow and had some fun. Ripped one of my front marker lights off the fender, and bent up the soft top snap rails some. I'm glad I left it rolled up or I might have torn it! Got a few new pinstripes, and best of all got to try the Swampers down at 15 psi.
    So Mike did you take any pictures yourself?

Rene

[​IMG]

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

um....did you take any pics tRusty?? how did the ole swampers do?

AIRBORNE!!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mostly scenery pics, you can see all of Vancouver from up top, although I think I got a decent group shot at the lookout on top! We'll have to see, I'm definitely not a pro photographer.
    The Swampies were awesome! I think I could safely have gone down to single digits with the air though, even at 15 psi they don't bulge and flex like radials! My daughter had a blast, at one point we had the truck pointed up at the sky and it felt like we had it up on the tailgate, she just started laughing. I guess she thought it was the funniest thing because she couldn't stop! [​IMG] Here I was thinking she might get scared!

Rene

[​IMG]

6. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Ya, I had Russ take some of me. I should have them back by Wednesday. We went through soom small mud puddles, enough to splash the windshield, and my son lovedit. All he kept saying later was,"Are we going to find more mud, Dad?" At least I know what kind of truck to build for him!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Not FROM the people

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Geez Mike, what trail were you on?? :) I KNOW that when I blasted up the last 2 miles of the trail, there was definitely more than "6-12"!! I was bashing snow with my bumper in some spots! That part was a blast! I had that 350 pumping at the limit, in 4Low for 2 miles! :) Talk about a rush, we didn't stop once! I just wish my winch wouldn't have been toasted, or it would have been a much easier decision to turn around and drive back to you guys...Ramsey said they would help me out, I will just have to pay for the shipping etc, it sounds like. Hopefully it is just a solenoid, they can mail it to me. Otherwise I have to send the winch back to them, that would suck. My brother got video of that last 2 mile romp up the hill - it is AMAZING! And funny as hell! Thank God for two lockers!! :)

Hey, at least we got everyone out safe and with no major damage! I had John and Vickie stay at the cabin, as with a broken driver's window and non-operational windshield wipers, that would have been way unsafe. Plus he was freezing with snow coming in the truck the last few hours!

I felt something "bouncing" under my truck on the way home Sunday, when I got home I found out why. I lost two nuts on the crossmember for the transfer case! The left side was moving all over! Lucky I didn't hurt anything. I am surpised that everything else was fine after that beating!! ha,ha But I am ready to go again!!! :) I am doing TDS in March, hopefully we can get some Blazers to go!!

Thanks everyone for such a great trip, and thanks for staying together as a group and helping out where we could. Hope David got some good pics, maybe he can share some here if he did!! :)

8. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I said 6-12 at the start! I know a few of those hikes up the hills to tie off Jon to a tree, I was "Ball deep in snow!" and in shorts!!! I was plowing snow all day with my front diff. As for the last two miles, lucklly I had Matt in front of me knocking down some of the center piles. What a blast. I should have pics back on Wednesday or Thursday.

Can you send me Jons number?

What is TDS?

And Tracy made it home safe. He rebuilt his alt. and everything is working great.

Thanks again and where are we going next month?

Not FROM the people

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know!! I remember when I went up the hill with Russ's winch cable, it was up to my balls, and I am 6'4"!!!! ha,ha I remember getting my pants caught on the stinkin' barbed wire fence!! That was scary! ha,ha I don't know about you and your "shorts year round"!!!! :) maybe you'll think twice about that next time??? he,he

That is good that Tracy got home ok, I was a little worried when he left. Yeah, I remember being in the back of Matt's truck looking back to make sure I saw three more sets of headlights coming! :) Your's got pretty close a few times!! ha,ha I just remember when I went up it the first time, it was DEEP!! No one had been on the trail yet, so I was totally plowing through it! David Kennedy was behind me, we were both pedal to the metal!! That Detroit and ARB were worth their weight in gold right there!! :)

TDS is Tierra Del Sol, an event I am sure you have seen in the magazine coverage, it is down in San Diego by Salton Sea (so no more snow for ya!! ha,ha) It is March 3-4 weekend, is a big happening. I was just thinking we could get some Blazers to show! Check it out at www.tds4x4.com I'll send you john's number...

10. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I will always wear shorts. I was on Matt's rear and I wanted to go faster. I wanted out. I marked the dates on the calender. I'll let you know if I can get there.

Not FROM the people

11. baby blue

baby blue Registered Member

hey guys its matt. im glad you all had a blast,i did too.im realy sick.im stocked on the trip and everyone got out safely .is kennedy going to write a story on this,it would be pretty good.i would like to go tds! and might be able to go.who wants to go??

babey blue

12. baby blue

baby blue Registered Member

hey guys its matt. im glad you all had a blast,i did too.im realy sick.im stocked on the trip and everyone got out safely .is kennedy going to write a story on this,it would be pretty good.i would like to go tds! and might be able to go.who wants to go????????????

babey blue

13. Kennedy

Kennedy Registered Member

Hey guys,

I too had a hell of time, never thought I would beat on my truck like I did... but some times you just got to do that.
    That snow was pretty deep, and blasting through it felt more like a slalom run than a trail ride for me. I bet a lot you guys will be stepping up to 35s for the next snow run! I know mine,the Gov-Loc, and 300hp saved me from sinking many times. If we can't get together before TDS, then I'll see you guys there. Thanks again,
    David

Unfortunately I don't think you will see a story covering this run:( We have our snow run feature running in the may issue- and we don't really want to run a snow feature in June. but all that means is WE HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN!
    I am up for any future snow runs, or mud runs, or whatever we can put together. I will get more fullsize trucks in the magazine no matter what, and depending on the photos I get back, some of the trucks from the trail ride will be in the magazine. I'll let you know who will be where, and when. I'm just glad I tagged along.

David 1989K5

14. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Ya had my alt tested on sunday it was pumping out 2 volts so I rebuilt it and am going to pick up a 175amp and keep this one as a spare also the 35s are needed really bad .Ya when I started up that last set of hills it was still day light Then I had to back down and of coarse got stuck (Matt thanks so much for draging me out multiple times)And(Jon I have your battery and chains email me your adress and ill drop em by)It was a great time but snow to my door handle with a 4"and33's is extreme nothing can compare to my ride home down onto the 18 in 4lo and 1st with no heat and only 1 headlight the other one broke (running into snowbanks)My wife was calling Hospitals when I got home slightly upset since it was after 12
    Well take a trip to stoddard wells here soon nice desert and hills.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by coopertwpk on 01/29/01 09:19 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

15. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well, I know I didn't have as cold and slow a ride as some of the guys on the run, but I HAD A BLAST! I wanna do another snow run! Kennedy, I know I can get my friend and hopefully my brother with their trucks, and mine and yours. As long as we don't get caught in another blizzard, we should be ok. Plus, I will have a working winch again, so that adds some more peace of mind. I think maybe some 35s and front lockers will be on some people's list!! :)

That's too bad that our run won't be in the magazine, but like you said, we will just have to do another one!! I think a really fun one would be to go back up to Big Bear after some warm weather, that way the snow would be melting and there will be a lot of mud!! :) I am up for Stoddard Wells, have never been there but have heard about it. Anyway, let's make sure that we don't just "talk about" doing runs, let's keep at it and DO IT!!