Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Bear Trip After The First Of The New Year-DATE HAS BEEN SET

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen91, Dec 27, 2000.

1. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I know the last invite was short notice and too close the Christmas, so lets try it again. Big Bear in mid to late January, 2001. Any one interested, answer this post or e-mail me. kpanza- have fun there this weekend. Hope you can make our trip as well.

blazen91chevy@yahoo.com

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by blazen91 on 01/03/01 01:16 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

Re: Big Bear Trip After The First Of The New Year

If we can nail down a date i'm in. The only problen is i'm breaking in a new motor, so I can't make a trip till the motor is broken in. I just got it today, so I need to rack up another 900 miles. I need to go wheelin though it has been far to long. Let me know.

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!

3. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

How are you going to make me have to rethink my plans. I was planning on trying to go to the Pomona Rod show and see you on the weekend of the 14. I'll call you bro.

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Saturday the 13 is the 2001 Glamis clean up, so we can't go then. The Pomona thing on the 14 sounds good though. Lets say we will go on the 20 or 27. Both those days are Saturdays, let me know if Sunday would be better.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Not FROM the people

5. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

A DATE HAS BEEN SET!! We will going to Big Bear to run two or three trails on January 20. We will be meeting in Highland in the Wal-Mart shopping center. If you take the 10 to San Bernadino to the 30 north and follow it to the off ramp at the bottom of the 330, turn left, you will run right into it. Anyone is welcome and all are invited. We will meet at 7:30 to 8:00am and will leave at 9:00. Hope to see you there.

Not FROM the people

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

How difficult of trails? Ive only got 33s, will I be ok? And are the trails very tight? I don't wanna screw up the fresh paint on my k5. Sounds like a good time! I hope you guys won't mind a 16 year old.

Brian
    84k5

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, count me in! I was just up there, had a blast! Met another K5er, told him about our website, he will be checking us out! We did Holcomb Creek top to bottom, then did Deep Creek up from Arrowhead to Big Bear Sunday. There was a lot of traffic (busy weekend), and a couple of broken Toyotas really held everyone up on Saturday, clogged the trail at the rock garden. I have some nice pics, if you want, you can check them out at : http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4293149239&code=1010713&mode=invite

That is my black blazer with the roof rack, etc...and my brother's and mine gold colored 1968 Jeep CJ5...

Sorry, I don't know how to make it a clickable link...I like #57 the best, was a rock we were playing around on, got some nice air under the front left as I crawled up...thank god for the rear Detroit and front ARB!! :)

January 27 or 28 would be best for me, maybe can do the 21st if I change some plans...the next two weekends here are gonna be busy! Plus, got to fix my shock mount, broke it again!

8. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Those are some sweet pics, I definitly want to go now. Just gotta talk dad into it.

Brian
    84k5

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

So the 20th is set in stone?? I am not sure I can make it, but will start trying to get out of my "commitment" that day - I will try my hardest! ha,ha

In regards to your paint, there are a lot of spots where the trees and brush will reach out and grab us big Blazers. Surface scratches should be prepared for...there aren't any major chances for bad body damage (unless you roll over on purpose!) but I would be lying if I said that you wouldn't get any scratches! Now, I just kinda drive through trees and stuff, don't really care much about scratches, but with careful driving you and your paint should be fine! :) With 33s, you should do ok...do you have any lockers? I have run those trails for years with just a limited slip, had no big problems, but now with the lockers is much easier!

This will be fun, hoep we can get a large turnout!!

10. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

The only thing we need to watch is the amount of snowfall we get (if any!) between now and then. Last weekend there was very little snow (mainly small patches in the shade scattered about) and just a little ice covering the creeks that broke up easily. The rock gardens would be difficult at best in snow...but there are lots of trails that would be fun even in snow!

11. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

ok, thats what I wanted to hear. Minor scratches no big deal, but body damage makes me cry[​IMG]. I just have the gov-lock, would that be ok? I think I'll put some towhooks on in case I need assitance.

Brian
    84k5

12. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

DAMMIT! I have to work that day.
    Are you guys going to be doing anything that my IFS Blazer with the below specifications and a driver who doesn't want to break/dent anything could do? I'm not a novice 4x4'er, but rock crawling isn't my forte. If you do, I'd be interested in going another time if you do go out.

If anyone wants to see some fun I had, sort of unintentionally, out at Big Bear, go to:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1371812&a=10230607>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1371812&a=10230607</A>

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

13. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Can you run the trails that you guys are going to run with 31's and open diffs? I am just getting started on my K5 and have not got allot done to it. She twists pretty well keeping all the tires on the ground for the most part. And is the wife welcome to come with us?

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]

14. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

To all you guys who are wondering if you can "do it" on these trails - yes, I think you will have a good time. As for determining whether you can make it with 31", 33" etc, etc, I think a good driver makes a huge difference. Put it this way, I helped a friend get a stock Jeep Wrangler through these trails! Now, it wasn't always pretty, and I did have to use the tow strap on him a few times, but all in all, any real 4x4 should be able to get up. Plus, on most obstacles there is an easier line, or "bypass" if you just can't make it up! I would however urge everyone to have two straps, tow hooks, attachment points, etc just to make sure everything goes smoothly! Check out the cal4wheel website (I think it is www.cal4wheel.com) and check their "required equipment" checklists to make sure that you have what you need for a safe and fun 4x4 trip. Well, hope everyone will be able to make it, this should be fun!

Keith

15. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Is the 20th set in stone? if we could move it back a week or two, it would really help me out. Seems like AJM and kpanza would prefer another date too?

Brian
    84k5

16. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well, if I have to, I can probably do the 20th, although I would much prefer the 27th if that was at all possible. But I am sure that everyone has something going on just about every weekend, so it will be hard to please everyone. And in my humble opinion, I think we should try and plan one of these trips every month! What about that? Maybe we could all post our names and phone numbers and start making a list of all of us here in the area, then we could more easily contact each other with ideas?? Just a thought...

17. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

The 27 should work better for me also. Sounds like a good idea about the numbers and wheeling once a month.

Brian
    84k5

18. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Blazen91, anyway you can let us know what kind of responses you have been getting to the date of the 20th? I know that there is always something that won't allow everyone to attend, that is just reality for ya, but what is the chance of the 27th being the day? Just wondering...

Also, can everyone that is planning on going start responding to this and let us all know what your opinions are on the dates? And it looks like we WILL be getting some snow next week, according to the weather reports (and we all know how reliable those are!! ha,ha) This should be fun!

19. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I'm going to check the calendar when I get home tonight. I'll let you know about both dates either this weekend or Monday. I think this sounds like a blast.

See Ya

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]

20. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I was gone for one day and found a book to read on this post!!!!![​IMG] My wife was having surgery on the 27th or there abouts, but I found out tonight that it has been pushed to the 2nd or 3rd. If we go on the 27 that is fine with me if it is better for every one else. Besides, may be then I can do my lift on the 20th![​IMG]

Not FROM the people