Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BIG, BIG, BIG Screw up!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Liberator, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

My buddy recently acquired a 14 bolt from a junk yard for $130. We repainted it, bought new rims, mounted the tires and bought the conversion u-joint. As we roll the axle under his Blazer, I notice something just doesn't seem right! The spring perches are too far apart! I'm thinking, "What the heck! This should be a direct bolt in, unless....... it's an axle from a 3/4 ton van." Sure enough the axle is too wide! As the frustration of such an immense screw up begins to set in I begin to wonder why I didn't put in a lottery ticket! The chances of finding a 14 bolt from a 3/4 ton van around my area is second to none! And the worst thing is, I knew about the difference between the van and truck axle and didn't even bother to take measurements, as I did mine, before I helped him take it from the junk yard! Boy do I feel like a jackarse!
    Just a word of advice, take measurements! If the spring perches are in the right place, it's a direct bolt in. If the perches are not in the right place, it's the wrong 14 bolt!
    My friend didn't bash me enough to feel good about myself. So, go right ahead and let loose!

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

dumb ars![​IMG]

<font color=white>It's good to be out</font color=white>
    <font color=white>Out of my mind and out of control</font color=white>
    <font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Just re-weld the perches. While you're at it have them angle it up a little... depending you your lift. Thanks for reminding me though, I just re-measured mine!

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/K5Jungle</a>

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

If the spring perches are in a different location than your Blazer then it could be a 1 ton truck. Is it a full floater? If I remember right, if its from a van, then the axle would be the same length as the front axle, which means you wouldnt need to purchase spacers for the rear wheels to get them the same track width as the front axle. But you will have to move the spring perches obviously.

5. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

The axle measures, I believe, 65" drum to drum. The axle on my 14 bolt measures 62", I think! I forgot the actual measurements but his tires stick out of his fenders about 2.5" on each side while mine are still tucked using the exact same 15x10 in rim! We considered rewelding the perches but that doesn't fix the wider axle problem! Not to mention the axle shafts, if one is to break, would be harder to replace. But it looks awkward with such a wide stance. It definately sticks out further than the stock width front!

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah know what I would love to find a 14 from a van. It tracks the same width as the front instead of being 3 inches narrow like the truck started. I scrub inner fenders in the rear with 32's and 4 inches of lift on sotck rims. I think I could handle the $20 from new purches from Jegs to get the extra 3 inches and solve a lot of porblems. I think your looking at the problem wrong. It's not a problem that is all that difficult to fix. Just need to find a welder and your set.
    I think in the end your going to find you like it better because it fixes that track problem.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

7. pjwalters

pjwalters Registered Member

hey homo

8. pjwalters

pjwalters Registered Member

liberator is my bud dont get offended any one

9. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> dude ! you didn't screw up ! you found the one thing i think most of us would kill for,,same width axles ! just weld on new perches, put on the cheesy fender flares, ( i know i hate them to but i run'em to be legal here ) and awaaaaaaaaay we go ! you'll be one of the few that doesn't look like he's going down the road sideway's,,lol .</font color=green>

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

10. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

So, you're saying that if we went to 15x10" rims in the front, we would solve the track width problem? Right now he's on 15x8's in the front. The question now is, how much of the rear fender are we going to have to scrub to fit the van axle with 35x12.50 tires and is my friend willing to do the necessary cutting? Not sure exactly what to expect with the 15x10 rims in the front.
    Grim_Reaper, thanks for the new outlook! I will relay the info.

11. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> i think all you really would need to do is get a different off-set rim for the back if you want them to be tucked in the wheel well like they used to be. just pop off a wheel and deflate the tire, hold a straight edge cross the back of the rim itself and measure the back-spacing.then just add the 1 1/2 inches to it and then go get some new wheel's. BUT MAKE SURE THEY WILL FIT RIGHT BEFORE YOU BUY THEM ! i think they should and nothing will rub(I.E. the backing plate's for the brakes) but ask to try one out first to see, most wheel places will let you if they think they can sell you the rim's.</font color=green>

<font color=purple>ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]</font color=green>

12. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Well, the 15x10's barely fit over the drum as is with 4 1/4" backspacing! I don't think we have too much more room to play with.

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Most people don't scrub on the outer fender they scrub on the wheel tub. The extra width will probably end that. You probably will not scrub at all even though they stick out. When they compress, unless your jumpin, one side droops that brings the top of the tire on the compress side in and it clears the fender. I would get it centered under the rear and get the purches welded on then ramp it and check it for clearence.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

14. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

That sounds like a good idea! I think I'll even offer to buy the perches for him just to see how it will ramp and what the track width would be with 15x10's in the front! If I can talk him into it, I'll give everyone an update. He's borrowing my Blazer for transportation and I'm driving my S-10 so there isn't a mobility problem right now. Might as well take advantage of the situation and do some experimenting!