Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Black Blazer Totaled!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_black_blazer, Nov 20, 2005.

1. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

on my way home tonight some punk kid in his mom's explorer ran out in front of me :angry1: and i t-boned him at 45, knocked out all of his windows, and completely mangled the rest of mom's ride. and the blazer suffered a bent frame (hopefully fixable), busted front axle, steering stuff, and dog house and pass door. but i never felt him when i hit him! but now i get to dick around with his insurance cause they aint gonna want to give me more than $3000 for my $8k truck. btut look on the bright side: maybe mom's insurance company will let me buy it back and give me enough boot for that 3/4 ton suspension and '73 front cap i wanted.

i'm just a little bummed out right now because i had it all redone except for the carpet. the dog's even bummed out... no rides. but maybe it'll be even better next time...
    thanks for listening to me cry
    -evan :( :k5: :angry1:

2. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

:(

gl with the insurance dood, if its anything like around here they are gunna try to screw you worse then bubba in prison

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That sucks. Don't take the first offer. Get a laywer if need be. Don't just use KBB get F/S adds for K5s in similar condition. Good luck on your battle.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

sorry to hear that...

got any pics of the carnage...?

5. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

:( :( :( sucks! receipts help with insurance woes. least you are ok :D maybe you can use rigs on ck5 as a basline of value? good luck.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

get for sale ads off of autotrader.com, they got k5s on there for sale for up to $30k. should help with collecting money. sorry for ur loss

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Ya know, mentioning a "sore neck" might persuade the insurance company to be more generous with their settlement offer. It has worked for me when dealing with insurance companies that drag their feet. Neck injuries can show up days later, and are difficult to diagnose.

8. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

That stinks!! :( On the other hand thank goodness you were driving a K5 and not some little commuter car or you might be dead. I always say our sub is our other life insurance.

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

That stinks! Yeah, insurance company's gonna definitely try and screw you over. They all do! They all lure you into signing up with them with good sounding stuff, and probably even the fine print will look good, then when somebody has an accident, they do the damndest they can to keep from paying out claims, I'm betting even resorting to illegal, underhanded means if they can get away with it.

10. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

That really blows man. Poor CK5. Good thing everybody is allright though. :D A little SUV sumo wrestling can get people hurt quick. At least the CK5 went down fighting, and took the F*rd Exlpoder with it. :waytogo:

Hope everything works out with the insurance. As already mentioned, a lawyer can go a long way when it comes to "simple" cases like this. Because you pull the lawyer card and they know they aren't going to be able to just snowball you. I would recommend it, and not because I like lawyers (is that possible?).

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know what you are going through, I have had two restored vehicles totaled by morons. One was a 1970 SS Chevelle, and the other was a 1981 Chevy K30 Dually. Back in the late 80's I had this old man in a 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood have a heart attack behind the wheel, and slam into my Dually. The engine, transmission, front and rear lockers, 6" lift suspension, 35" tires, new paint job, and new interior only had a grand total of 200 miles on them. I had $10 grand in parts in that truck, and hundreds of hours of my labor into it. Since I did not have the truck appraised and insured for its true value, the old mans insurance was only libel for the book value of the vehicle, which was only $3500. I was able to get them up to $5000 by showing them, what the insurance companies call "comparable values", which are (as already mentioned) sale advertisements prices for similar condition trucks. I have my current truck (1991 V3500 Crew Cab 4X4) appraised and insured for that value (which is not as expensive as you might think), so I do not loose out big time on all the work, and money I have put into it.

12. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I went through the same thing about a year ago. Fortunately unlike some states Kentucky law states that the insurance company must replace or reimburse for all additional equipment added to a vehicle. Some states they only have to replace back to original or base price off of stock vehicle. Unfortunatel it took me about 2.5 months (mainly due to the lady that ran the stop sign refusing to contact her insurance company) but after providing receipts for lift kits,winches,rims,tires,engine,etc they offered me 6200.00 with a 1000.00 buy back. Took a little arguing but worked for me. Wish you the best