Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block and Suburban question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SS66, Aug 19, 2003.

1. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of a good online source for purchasing ( possibly turnkey? ) Chevy Big Block engines? Also, I've read it before.. but forgot: K5's are divided into generations 1 - 2, Are Suburbans like this? If so.. what years are what generation. I looking to know what the 80's-91 gen is.

Thank guys

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out www.sdpc2000.com for complete, brand new big blocks. From 454 to 572 CI. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Suburbans have been around for 68 years now, so no telling what "gen" they're up to these days. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But the basic design changed very little between 1973 and 1991.

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

as far as i know the suburban has always had the same body styling as the trucks. Just a crewcab truck whith a conopy looking thing. Who knows how many generations of subs theres been, they have been being made since 1930 sonething.

4. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    as far as i know the suburban has always had the same body styling as the trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I guess that means that you haven't seen an '88-91 Sub parked next to an '88-91 pickup. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Subs carried over the old body style through '91, like the K5's did. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Some trucks did as well.

6. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys..... I currently have a k5.... but Im thinking about getting a burb' and doing the rear end swap so I can have a removeable top. So far the only thing stopping me is the thought of cutting the roof. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. HarryH3

Do a LOT of measuring before you break out the Sawzall. The roofline is different on a Suburban. Look at it closely and you'll see that it has a slight rise just behind the drivers head. That makes it tricky to match up with a K5 top. Someone on the site was talking about doing this conversion a year or so ago, but I've never seen any pics so I don't think it ever went beyond the planning stages. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif