Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big block availability in a K truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K1Orion, May 11, 2003.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

probably a stupid ? but :

Were big blocks available in a K truck from the factory?
    I ask because I was looking through an LMC and noticed that the K trucks did not have big block listed as an available engine.I know LMC is not the bible but this seemed a little odd to me.

So how stupid am I?
    bring it on! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm alittle rusty, but if I remember correctly, the were available in 3/4 tons till about 77 or 78, then the one tons only from then till present? I think. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

biggest motor in a K5 is a 400 SBC, or a 6.2L oil-burner

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I may be wrong but the last LMC catalog that I looked at did not list any K-30 series truck.They concentrate on the C/K 10's and 20's and not the 30 series.
    Tom

5. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Believe it or not, the first year of a factory big block in a K-series truck was 1981. The big block was only offered in K30's. C10's, 20's and 30's had big blocks since the late 60's, but no original big block 4X happened until 1981. I did not believe this myself at first, but have spoken with several "old timers" in various GM parts departments over the years, and they all say that it wasn't in 4X until '81. I thought it was earlier myself, as most parts catalogs offer parts for big blocks in ealier 4X's, but officially it was '81.

6. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Believe it or not, the first year of a factory big block in a K-series truck was 1981. The big block was only offered in K30's. C10's, 20's and 30's had big blocks since the late 60's, but no original big block 4X happened until 1981. I did not believe this myself at first, but have spoken with several "old timers" in various GM parts departments over the years, and they all say that it wasn't in 4X until '81. I thought it was earlier myself, as most parts catalogs offer parts for big blocks in ealier 4X's, but officially it was '81.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...No.

Go to any parts store and tell them you need a water pump/alternator/ ect ect for a say- '73 K20 with a big block.
    Big blocks have been in K-trucks for quite some time.

7. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

You're right, the only 4x4 a big block came in FROM THE FACTORY was a 1-ton. A "Big 10" I think it's called and any C20 or C30 could get a big block.

8. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A big 10 is a heavy duty half ton they were rated heavier than regular 1/2tons for emmissions ....heavier rated trucks didn't have to comply to as strict emissions ford did the same thing that's why it's an F-150 instead of F-100 Quite a few "BIG 10's" came with 454's I have one and know of three more in town also my grandad bought one new in 75and still has it with 76,000 miles on it most are longbeds and are prety high optioned I've yet to see one with a 4-speed every one I've seen has had a Th400 there awesome little trucks and will damn sure scoot ......As far as 4x4 goes the biggest mill you could get was a 400 small block until the 1981 model year in 1-tons only ....Of course there may be some SPECIAL ORDER or "dealer built " 4x4's with bigblocks but if some one tells you they have a "factory big block 4x4" there either full of it or are misinformed /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. mosesburb

Ummm, yes.
    If you read the last sentance of my post it states that most parts catalogs offer parts for ealier 4X's with a big block (I guess I should have specified aftermarket catalogs), probably because it is such a popular conversion. You are right, you go to a parts store and they will usually have a listing, and most conversions use typical bracketry that was the same as 2X's, but if you go to GM, they will not have a listing before 1981. I am not saying that if you get a good parts guy at GM that he won't be able to find your water pump, as most were the same 73 and up, but that it was not a factory equipped big block truck.

10. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Ummm, yes.
    If you read the last sentance of my post it states that most parts catalogs offer parts for ealier 4X's with a big block (I guess I should have specified aftermarket catalogs), probably because it is such a popular conversion. You are right, you go to a parts store and they will usually have a listing, and most conversions use typical bracketry that was the same as 2X's, but if you go to GM, they will not have a listing before 1981. I am not saying that if you get a good parts guy at GM that he won't be able to find your water pump, as most were the same 73 and up, but that it was not a factory equipped big block truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok- Just to prove a point, I just got off the phone with the GM dealership here in town. Spoke to the parts counter guy. The year's a big block was available in a K-Series truck was 68, 69, 70. For those years it was the 396. 71-72 got the 402. 454 from then on. I asked him 4 times if he was certain he was looking at a GM book and if he was certain he was looking at specs for K-series/4x4 trucks. I think he felt like I was insulting his inteligence by asking. Another thing- The 1 ton wasn't introduced till I think '77, 1 ton meaning a truck with a D60 front. So if you are correct...No GM 4x4 got the big block till '81? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. mosesburb

Correct, No K series got a big block until 1981. That guy at GM was obviously incorrect as the 396 and 402 were 2X options only. I have a truck brochures from 1969 and 1972 and it clearly states that the 396(69)/402(72) was 2X only. Don't forget, not all people that are employed at GM know the history of the company they work for. Once again, Believe it or not /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

NO 4wd with a 10 bolt or D44 axle was ever sold with a 454. No 4wd Suburban ever had a 454 until 1992 when the IFS trucks came out.

Think whatever you want. It's fact.

14. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok- Just to prove a point, I just got off the phone with the GM dealership here in town. Spoke to the parts counter guy. The year's a big block was available in a K-Series truck was 68, 69, 70. For those years it was the 396. 71-72 got the 402. 454 from then on. I asked him 4 times if he was certain he was looking at a GM book and if he was certain he was looking at specs for K-series/4x4 trucks. I think he felt like I was insulting his inteligence by asking. Another thing- The 1 ton wasn't introduced till I think '77, 1 ton meaning a truck with a D60 front. So if you are correct...No GM 4x4 got the big block till '81?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to pile on, that guy deserved to have his intelligence questioned. No solid axle BB 4X4s EVER except the K30, and not all years of K30s had the BB available.