Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block "cam oiling clips"?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, May 5, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Big Block \"cam oiling clips\"?

What are these things? How do they work? Where do they go? Where can I get them? Pros? Cons?

Just curious cause of the flat cam I have now...Got a new Extreme 4x4 cam and lifters, and I don't want the same to happen again. I know the big blocks are known for eating cams/bad cam oiling...I want to prevent it from happening again. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Re: Big Block \"cam oiling clips\"?

PM Shawn...he has one on his 496...pretty simple and cheap deal...Personally though, if the cam is broken in correctly, a flat lobe should be a moot point...just use lots of the red assembly goop and run it...thats just me...I know that the system that Shwan has requires drilling and tapping the oil galley...no a good idea unless you like the idea of metal chips floating round your motor /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Chris

3. fortcollinsram

never mind..i thought you were talking about the overhead cam oiler that plugs into you cam oil galley...I don't know about the clips...

4. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    never mind..i thought you were talking about the overhead cam oiler that plugs into you cam oil galley...I don't know about the clips...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly what I was refering too, I just couldn't remember what they were called. And I didn't realize it required drilling and tapping..lol. TO much work. I'll just do like you said, assembly lube stuff, proper break in and hope for the best. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

go to off road .com search for BC ENGINEERING, overhead
    auxilery cam oiler,prodject potent rodent, theres a little
    more to it than the article says,if you order it bob will
    fill you in on the what nots, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. fortcollinsram

OKay cool we are on the same page then /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifYeah , I don't know why Shwan got it b/c his 496 is a roller cam motor and doesn't need the extra oil really...Oh well...a good set of lifter and a good cam (which you already have) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif when broken in properly will do just fine...Do you have the stock pressure springs on your heads or do you have heavy springs? if you have heavy-seat pressure afermarket springs, I suggest that you swap in some low-pressure springs for the break-in period...With radical springs, even the perfect break-in technique and all the proper precautions can leat to a flat lobe /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifjust a thought...

Chris

7. Zeus33rd

Well, I'm kinda shooting blind on the springs. My guess is that they are not stock stuff. I bought the truck this motor was in for $300. Had a blown head gasket. But whoever built it did it right I think. It has Harland Sharpe full roller aluminum rockers. The part number on the lifters is a Comp Cams part#. 427 heads on a 402 block. HV oil pump, balanced crank, forged pistons. The guy that did the head job for me said it had stainless still intake valves, or something liek that, I dont remember. So I figure if it has all that stuff, it might have the heavier springs. I was looking at getting the Comp Cams 911-16 springs. or 916-11, I cant remember.

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I did the cam oiler since I thought I was going with a standard cam/lifters then I changed my mind to a roller cam after the oiler was done. I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it. Someone else mentioned cutting grooves in your lifters to help oil the cam. I think Comp carries a tool just for that. For any cam/spring/lifter questions, I frequently turn to Comp and call their 800 number.