Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big block chevy's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin_blazer, Feb 27, 2007.

1. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

hey guys what parts are unique to a tall deck 427?

will all bbc parts interchange...excluding the timing chain,and intake? if i use the adapter to run the short deck intake, that would take care of that.

is the hei on the tall deck longer? or did they lower the distributer mount on the tall deck intake so a standard hei would fit? will everything else swap?

on the rear of this motor is a thick plate bolted to the regular bellhousing bolt holes that has the chevy bellhousing pattern mimicked but out about an inch bigger all around, it also sticks out where the starter is and the starter bolted thru this plate with 3 bolts instead of the starter bolting to the block with the 2 vertical bolts. is this for a super starter? would it be worth the trouble to make the heavy starter mount to the block like a normal starter and use the bigger starter? or just do away with the plate completly and use a new gear reduction starter? thanks for any & all replies.

i will get some pics tomorrow while it is light outside and post them.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Tall deck uses different intake manifold, pushrods, pistons, connecting rods, and distributor. That starter will not work in the standard location.

3. blazin_blazer

it has the holes in the block for a regular starter? i'm going to go get pics now with my q-beam. i'll have them up in 30-45 min.

4. blazin_blazer

5. 4X4HIGH

Yes the block will have the conventional starter holes in the block still.

6. blazin_blazer

my comp crapped on me last night, but mortec says ALL production big blocks used a 6.135" length rod.

http://www.mortec.com/borstrok.htm

they even list the tall decks...what sucks is they say the casting # on the block says its a 366, but i had a local mechanic from a big truck shop tell me not to trust just that ......he said that casting was heavy enuff to take the bore of a 427t and they used it said he has seen it????...the only way to tell for absolute positive is to get the crank casting #...in any case it looks like i at least have a crank...it appears to be the same as the other bbc's hope its not what shot the motor...hope its a 427

7. blazin_blazer

any1 know is this true?

8. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As far as the conrods go, I was thinking so too. I believe just the height of the piston from the wrist pin is changed, to accomodate the higher deck. I think they also used 4 ring pistons.

from Mortec:
    ALL production big blocks used a 6.135" length rod.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  9. 4X4HIGH

366 tall deck cannot be bored to a 4.250" bore that the 427 is. The way you can tell if it is a 427 is my measuring the bore. I had a 427 tall deck and the rods are longer than any other BBC. All non tall deck engines are 6.135" rod lengths.

10. blazin_blazer

man i pulled the oilpan and the casting no. on the crank is half machined off it has a 62 then 1/2 another2 on the 1st counterweight then at the rear it has gmt 48 cast into the shaft not the counterweights.....will an engine rebuilder take this as a core for a 454 passenger engine?

are the heads on this thing possiblly good heads? are they the same as regular bbc's is it worth the effort to pull the valve covers and get the head casting #'s and possibly go with a 454 shortblock?

11. 4X4HIGH

The heads will be peanut port (very small oval) good for torque and nothing else.

12. blazin_blazer

i'm used to sbc stuff but the exhaust ports on this thing look huge to me! but not a bbc guy yet

13. 4X4HIGH

BBC all have the same exhaust ports, it is the intake ports that are different.