Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big block coversion..yes, I did a search...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Jun 1, 2004.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I will need to replace the tired 400 in my '87 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif pretty soon. Since I tow with it, I want to go 454. I have never done a swap that involves a TBI and/or computers so I am looking for information on what I need to do. I'd like to swap in a vortec 454, but I don't know if I'll have the $$ for that. basically, I am doing the research now for future reference so I only have to spend money once to get what I want, and not have to pay for my mistakes as I go.

Here is what I currently have in the '87 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

TBI 400
    700-R4 tranny (less than 3000 on a fresh rebuild to hold up to a BB)
    NP 208 t-case
    10b front/rear (1/2 ton /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Will be going 1 ton if I go big block)

I want to keep all the factory options (cruise/air cond.) since this is what we go on vacation with. Can anybody help point me in the right direction here? Thanks!

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My opinion is that the cheapest route would to buy a 1987 or newer 2wd Suburban for the 454 TBI stuff. You will have all the bits and pieces and brackets etc that you will need. Plus you will be able to drive it first. You can part out what is left. You can also use the 14FF rear axle if you go 8lug or 1 ton.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Since you have tbi in you burb already you are close. What I would do (what I did lol) was buy a complete vehicle with the motor you want and a 14ff in the rear so u can use the axle in your swap. Then you just have to transfer over the computer and any different sensor plug connectors and you are ready to rock. I went and used the edelbrock tbi-mpfi conversion on mine. Runs good and mine is punched out to 496.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

So, what year rig did you use? I am still figuring all this out. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifSounds like a good plan, but I'll need help getting there. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I migh thave to pm you with some questions /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

No problem if you need my help. I have an 87 K/V20, but i bought a rusted out and previously wrecked 88 suburban 2wd 3/4ton. Had the 454 and the 14ff. The 454 in these yrs are the lowest of the low in performance above 4k rpm. I 'modified' mine . It started out as a stock rebuild, pulled the pan saw 4 bolt main, next thing i know my bank account is empty /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But o well, all is well now. Also the 454 in this time period also have the little peanut port heads, I got a set of 049 oval ports for more flow. The edelbrock mpfi (tbi conversion one) is of course for the peanut port heads, but a bit of grinding opened them up some (dont know if it helped or not).

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One thing I'll mention, is that you'll want to stay away from a donor 4L80E truck, unless you want that tranny as well. Since the computer on that truck is a PCM, if the tranny isn't hooked up, you'll have problems. Also run into problems with DRAC/VSS if the donor is a '90-91.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Ah, heck with it, drop in a Cummins. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I've got an Olds 455 with a rebuilt TH400 for sale... The motor can be converted to TBI and the TH400 converted to 4x4 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I wish I could! Don't have the $$ for that though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You've got a PM.

I would need the eng only. The tranny was just rebuilt and I don't want to lose the OD. May be interested in it for the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif too. I have some questions though.

11. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Cummins, YES, some frame mods, and springs, but more mpg, and unlimited power.