Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big block diesel engine

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the general, Feb 7, 2005.

1. the general

the general Registered Member

does a GM 7.3 liter(turbo) diesel fitt in a blazer k5 ? with tranny (manuel or automatic) will be the best option ? and which transfer case is the best option? :confused: why a diesel ? less electronics and more low end power!:cool1:

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Say wha?

3. Tenpack

Tenpack Registered Member

ford makes the 7.3L turbo diesel. From what i know, GM makes a 6.2L and a 6.5L, but no bigger.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm not sure what motor you're talking about either.
    ?

5. the general

the general Registered Member

sorry guys, i thought that GM made a 7.3 too:crazy: ! but i was wrong! or not? in The Netherlands were i live they say a 6.2 is not the best engine you can get for a blazer i heard that they have alot of problems with the diesel pump and a 6.5 should not be that good too! soo i thought maybe there a bigger engine which is better and has more horsepower and torqe maybe one out of a bigger truck(why a diesel ?) 1 gallon or gasoline costs about 8 !!!! dollars here:cool1: (yes you are seeing it good )soo now you now why i wanne now more about a diesel engine.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

6.2s suck. 6.5Ls are pretty decent actually, and 6.6s are the ****! Those are the new Duramax motors. There is the Cummins 6BT thats the motor I would go with. 6L 6 cylinder that has been swapped into our rigs before.

7. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

GM used to make a 500ci (8.1L?) Diesel Big Block for industrial applications. The thing was highly regarded as a big piece of junk, though.

8. BlueBlazer

I call BS unless you can establish proof.

9. OrangeCrushK10

Calling BS on the 500ci diesel? They stuck them in school busses, motorhomes, and dump trucks, and I think I even heard of some in a boat of some sort.

Here's a thread I found about it on some diesel page, and I was wrong. 500ci is 8.2L, not 8.1L. Sorry.

http://www.dieseldoctor.com/messageboard/data/803.html

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Might want to sniff around the Diesel forum here, not really and ORD question. In fact, I'm going to move it there…

6.2 is a good engine just not very powerful. But it will generally be quite dependable and can get VERY good fuel mileage. 6.5 has more power, but if I recall correctly, there were some problems with dependability in some or all models.

For other options, a Perkins or Cummins 4BT would fit much easier than a 6BT. They are a bit hard to find here, but I would expect it to be more common in light deliveries over there. Nissan and others (like Mercedes?) also make some nice small diesels that would be relatively easy to adapt.

TCase is the biggest problem, but engines like the Cummins have a standard bell housing which makes trans options pretty good, and as long as you choose a trans with a standard round rear pattern (or available adapter), you can mount many different tcases. Worst case you could run a divorced case and still keep a reasonable rear drive shaft...

11. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Re: 6.2

I've got over 285, 000 miles and averaged 24 mpg my 6.2 '83 blazer before it decided to take a dump. I wouldn't say it sucked. I also have a 6.2 diesel in a '88 high top customized van that had 325,000 on it before a '98 vette took it out by a hit and run.

Take care of it with maintenance and it last a long time.

Still say it is a piece of junk. I wouldn't think so.

Of course that is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. They are like ass holes, everyone has one!!!!!

Phillip TK5

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

In a heavy duty truck, yes, throw one in a 1 ton pickup and it would probably just break the frame :doah:

13. kennyw

Russ, I don't think the original poster of this thread is a CK5 member and can't reply to the tread in the Diesel forum. Might want to move it to the Garage instead so he can take part in the discussion.

14. kennyw

I don't have any problems with any of the 6.2L's I have owned in my life. Always dependable, always get good mileage, and just as much power as a stock small block Chevy 350. It will cost a little more to get the power level up on a 6.2L compared to a small block, but it will pay for itself in fuel savings over a gas motor (when you compare the difference in cost).

The 6.2L that I put in place of a tired 350 in my '79 K20 gets 22mpg around town and about 17.5 on the highway. It has already paid for itself 3 fold in just the money I save filling it up since I do so much driving.

15. BlueBlazer

Its called an 8.2 L DETROIT DIESEL, not a GM big block diesel. Just because it was in GM vehicles doesn't make it a GM diesel, and throwing the big block terminology in there makes it even more confusing for the layperson.

16. kennyw

The 8.2L Detroit is the same basic design as the 6.2L, just larger from what I have seen/heard. It would be considered a big block compared to a 6.2L :tongue1: Lighten up a little, you appear a little tightly wound today.

17. BlueBlazer

Sorry Kenny, but I can't stand misinformation being spread. The 8.2 is nothing like the 6.2. Completely different fuel system, valvetrain, and overall design. Except for the V8 configuration it shares nothing with the 6.2 designwise.

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Argh, didn't think about that... done...

19. OrangeCrushK10

Hey, I never said that I'm a diesel guru. I just said that I've heard of a larger displacement diesel used by GM. It's equivalent in size to a big block, so for the sake of keeping things simple for those who are learning, I gave it the term big block. I didn't mean to put anyones panties in a twist. I was just trying to toss a little bit of info out there.

He wanted a big displacement diesel from a GM truck, I gave an option. No reason to get all upset about it. :grin: Thanks for the info, though. Now I know better for future refrences.

20. kennyw

I understand trying to correct mis-information, but I didn't see much worth yelling about is all. :thumb: I've never had the opportinity to do anything with an 8.2L though.