Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big block engine pick

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coincidentally, Oct 28, 2002.

1. coincidentally

coincidentally Registered Member

i'm going to check out a big block engine a guy wants to sell me tomorrow and wanted to know if there was anything I should look out for. At the moment I dont know if it is a chevy buick or olds big block. I do know that it is a 455 though. Are some models of 455's bad? are the all pretty much the same?

any help would be appreciated.....

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

There is a difference between a Buick and Pontiac 455 (chevy never made a 455 that I know of). I think the Pontiac motor would be the better of the 2. Either way it will require changing your tranny or getting an adapter for the BOP bolt pattern.

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

If you have the ability to crank it over, check the compression on the cylinders...455 sounds like a BOP engine to me as well...look at the plugs and look for signs of oil...um...thats about it...

Chris

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Buik, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile all did a 455, each is different, but they all have the same bolt pattern.
    If you can wait till tonight I can get the article I have on all of them and let you know which is better and what to look for.

5. ABO

ABO Registered Member

455 are only BOP engines. Try to get the numbers from the block, I know Olds engines have the block number on a flat area behind the timing cover and the block(under the water neck). The heads are lettered towards the front(to the left of the first plug hole). Your buying it blind so other than the compression,pulling a plug or a head theres really nothing you can do to check, just gotta trust him.