Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block Envy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5james, Oct 20, 2004.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

With all of the 1st Gens on this board getting fuel injected big blocks, I'm starting to get big block envy.

What do you guys think of this one?
    http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/ChevyBigBlockV8s/502pfefi.html

I know it's major kaysh but it's better than the Ramjet 502.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

What first genner would put a Fuel Injected 454 in?
    Silly thing to do /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifhehehee

That engine is sweet, but sweet for a car. Looks like a 1500 to 6500rpm build up, the Edelbrock RPM is being used. I used Edelbrock Performer = Idel to 5500 RPM /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I'm sure it would be fun in a mud truck tough /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

3. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you jerk it's all your fault I'm looking into big blocks now. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I'm planning on using it for hauling tail in the dunes so I think I might be ok with the RPM setup. You'd know better than me though you actually have one. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

Just incase your interested, I have a 454 Edelbrock FI for sale
    in the parts/trucks sale section.

Custom built 454 FI

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Burt your shiznitty is going to rule the world!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    But if I get a Suburban, Watch out!

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The Edelbrock Perfomer RPM, in my experience, doesn't lose any torque on the bottom end over the Performer.....just frees up some more on the top end.

7. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

you envy the big block we bigblock owners envy the mileage that the smallblocks get! the other makes envy the way chevy stuff is easier to work on and parts swap lower cost etc. even though the would never admit it! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

All 3 of the 454's I had in years past got slightly better gas mileage than the 350's I had--maybe due to the highway gears the vehicles had(one had 3.73's,the other 2 had 3.08's),the big blocks didnt seem like it was as difficult to pull the truck around,it seemed like you had to hold your foot off the gas more than give it gas like you were always doing with the small blocks.But I wouldnt reccomend putting in a big block in hopes of better gas mileage--its only 1 to 3 mpg difference in most cases--but opening the four barrel on a big block is so much fun,that you'll be doing it all the time--and that wont save any gas!. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

That's kinda what I was thinking. Less strain on the BB to pull just slightly more weight.That thought quickly disappeared when I deceided to go with 5.13 gears. Oh well the Saudis need some more of my gas money /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif