Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block Fuel Pump, need info FAST!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Jul 15, 2003.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

What I have, 402 BB from 72 Camaro, w/ Mallory Fuel Pump.

Fuel pump is 8 years old and I want to replace it with a stock unit. I checked Napa and Schmucks, dont have fuel pump in stock for said engine, but I thought just about any BB fuel pump would work? So I check for some random 454 and the pump they show me looks huge compared to the one I have on now.

I really do not know what I am looking at when it comes to stcok fuel pumps, but the cross member goes under the fuel pump and the space looks limited....so I dunno I am pulling my hair out on what to do. The huge one they showed me looks too big but maybe not.

Anyone have any ideas on what kind of fuel pump would work ok, only need in and out as well, no return line hooked up.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

sorry its so long of a post, any help is appreciated

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

One has a smaller canister/resevoir on the bottom? And the other has a Large Canister? Also check how many fitting's are coming out of the pump. They made them with an inlet, Outlet. And inlet, outlet, return. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

My after market fuel pump has like no canister/reservoir on the bottom, and I dont know what is available in stock form and what is considered large or small. The one I saw looked like it was 3 or 4 inches, looked big but maybe that is normal.

The other problem is that the Schucks guys know nothing at all and I could spend the whole day having them pull them off the shelf and checking them.

Any ideas on year/make/model that would suit my needs??

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I think You are in the ballpark with the big one being 2"-3" tall? or diameter? I have a small one on my 454. Inlet fitting, and only one outlet to carb. No return line to tank.

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Whats the specs on yours, year/model?? SOunds like what I need to get. Thanks for the input so far.

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Mine was for a 76 C20 pickup, bought at Napa. Don't know the part number though, [been a year foggy memory] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

SBC and BBC pumps are the same size.........I used a SBC fuel pump in a pinch to get home. The inlet/outlet/return lines are specific to year/model though. PSI is similar.

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll go to Napa and try that.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Be careful when using a pump that has a taller canister on the bottom as some of these types rub on the crossmember under the engine and will cause leaks out of the wear mark on the canister.

I had such a problem on a K30 once and fixed it by getting the shorter canister. Never went back to the taller canister ever again.