Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big block gurus.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by midget, Mar 12, 2003.

1. midget

midget Registered Member

I'm looking at a couple 454's for the /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif, 1973 out of a motorhome with 60K miles or 1985 out of a 1ton p/u 80K miles. I am thinking the 73 is better b/c less/no smog stuff, likely a 4 bolt main, coull put it in run it for awhile then it would be a good base for a rebuild with more power.
    If I would be better off looking for a different year let me know. I know things changed through the 70's and 80's but not sure which is better..........

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Go with the 73 motor. The heads on the 73 will breathe far better than the 80's motor. Chances are the 73 heads might be a preferred casting, ...781 or ...049 . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Might not be a 4bolt. My 73 come from a 3/4ton. But it did have a steel crank. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It is now a 4 bolt. I would get the 73 because of the better heads. Not sure if the casting of the block is any better.

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I'll be damned, I have never seen/owned a 2 bolt fat-block. Guess I am lucky that way. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif On the other hand, haven't seen/owned one that came with a steel crank, either. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I agree, the 73 is the way to go. The blocks are thicker and the heads are better. I have seen several 2 bolt blocks. I wouldn't be afraid of a 2 bolt block. if your gonna do a mild build up.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I would say you are REAL lucky! I've got 3 454's and only 1 is 4 bolt. <font color="orange"> TARussell </font> had 7 at one point and all but 1 were 2 bolt blocks.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I'll put in a vote for the chance of the 1973 heads being of a good casting ( 049/781 ). Any 454 block is worth getting if it is buildable and the right price , but the older heads make so much more usable power from idle on up.There are a lot of descent castings but the 049/781's are the top choice in the factory oval port world.
    BTW Nvrenuf has been turning his present BBC up to 7200 RPM ( MSD rev limiter )and keeping it there at the mud bogs for years and it is only a 2 bolt main block. Spend the money on QUALITY machine work and get the rotating assy. balanced and run what Ya' got unless you are going to be making beyond 600 HP - than you will need better parts.