Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big block guys...how big is your air filter???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Sep 21, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Just looking at some K&N filters. Found a 14x3 for a good price but was thinking 14x4 maybe..

anyone??

2. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

I have a 14" x 6" on mine. With the proper base & body lift it fit rather nicely. Too much filter never hurts.

On a budget, 2 AC filters (P/N A212CW if I remember correctly)stacked also works.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

actually I read an article where they tested filter sizes, I think out of all they tested something like a 14x3 did the best, even vs no air filter. I'm sure that would change with motors.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I run a 5" element in a stock air cleaner. The empty air cleaner flows the maximum a bigblock Quadrajet can at 1.5" of mercury. When you stick an element in the air cleaner the airflow is the same.

The nice thing about this air cleaner is that it drops down around the carb. This allows the water you suck in to sit in the air cleaner base instead of splashing on the element. And even if it does get on the element it doesn't matter because the element is a lot bigger than you'll ever need. Wet elements don't flow air very well.

PS: get rid of the charcoal thing on the air cleaner. It comes off pretty easy with a chisel.

[​IMG]

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I sure wish my stock air cleaner would fit on an Edelbrock carb. I've still got it, but it won't fit!!

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    PS: get rid of the charcoal thing on the air cleaner. It comes off pretty easy with a chisel.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont need that poop eh? I oughta trash mine from my 85.. never even thought about pulling it, even tho I see it every time i check the air filter. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I bet the K&N 14x3 with the filter top would be more than enough! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Nope, ain't need none of that excrement. Mine smelled like gas something fierce and it only sits like 1" away from the lid anyway. Save the screen around the charcoal though, it might come in handy for something someday.

Those air cleaners are so tall I've been contemplating putting an air horn inside the air cleaner. If I could find an air horn I'd do it. All you need is 1.75" between it and the lid....

[​IMG]

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, I ripped my charcoal thing out a long time ago. I figured it just kills airflow, so I ditched it. I have a stock 85 air cleaner assembly like the pic and I am using the replacement filter from K&N. I am going to cut away part of my cleaner housing and add another air intake port that has tube to the other side of the rad. support so I can double my possible air intake. Should look cool too with dual pickup lines running to the cleaner. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, I may have to go with the toby-style bean pot air cleaner housing. I wanna nice big single 4" intake that I can attach to either the cold air intake behind the grille or to the azz end of some snorkle tubing. The cheesy little oval shaped intake on my factory 85 housing just looks pathetic and since long snorkel hoses might restrict airflow, I'd like to run a larger size tube. not to mention that tobys bean pot looks pretty bling bling... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j