Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block guys, quick question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beerbudget, Aug 22, 2004.

1. beerbudget

beerbudget Newbie

I have a chance to buy a 454 out of a 1970 Chevelle SS. More than likely, it'll be an LS-5 not an LS-6. What the differences in the heads, more specifically, what are the measurements of each, like head cc, port volume, etc..
    I'm going to change out the cam and go w/ one of the truck one's from Comp Cams.
    Thanks in advance guys.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

More than likely it will have rectangle port heads (im not sure on specific measurements you are asking for, i loaned someone my big block book) and those wont be good for a 4x4 app, unless you are building a high rpm mud runner, because the rectangles wont give you the torque you need. Rock crawling get some small oval port heads, (but be aware, no power above 4000rpm) or some large oval port heads (049 or 781 casting numbers),for general use (street, trails, smaller rocks, which breathe on up into the rpm, but will still give you low end torque. The 049's are what I have on my 496, with bigger valves, and a little port work, they are good.

Like I said, sorry I dont have my book I should get it back tomorow if someone hasnt posted up exacts Ill get it to you then.

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get the casting numbers and check mortec.com