Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block Heads and Block work. . .

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Jun 18, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I have decided 100%, for sure, I am going to buy a used block, probably a 454 block- and going to build it up and drop it in the blazer. My question now is- what heads to look for and how much can i bore it? What kind of max stroke can i get without clearancing? What is the biggest CI i can pull out of it safely and not have to pay for clearancing? Any certain #s i should look for? a 4-bolt main is best right? i don't know big blocks all the well yet, but hopefully next year i'll have one sitting under the hood and the whole neighborhood will be well aquainted with a 3" straight piped BBC /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

note- i'm looking to spend $5-700 on some new or slightly used aluminum heads, then port and polish them.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't know big blocks either but i do know 500-700 for heads plural is very hopeful. Maybe a head.

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I don't have the "casting number list" avaialable here for head's, block's etc. got to the "net and type in: big block chevy casting number's, and a whole slew of different page's will; show up.

I do know that You can safely bore it too, .060 over that's what mine is, a 468 now, with a stroker, I have no idea what the largest is, or how much of an overbore, it will handle. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

or got ot www.mortech.com it is a casting number page for big block's.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

5-700 is the price for like 1 aluminum head lol. Double that for new. Slightly used would only knock 100 or 200 off the price. Oval port heads and torque heads, Rectangles are for racing engines, a good set of factory iron heads are the ones that end in the 049 casting #'s. They are the best performing factory oval port heads ever. Im tryin to get a set off ebay, but the guy is being a bastard, if i dont get em, i might get the world products oval ports. Again, for that price getting a set of irons is the only hope.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yes 4 bolt is the best, im going to go .060 over, ive heard of people going .125 over but thats definately pushing it. Im going to a 4.25" stroke, to make it a 496, but you will barely hafta clearance the block. Machine shop says maybe 45mins to an hr wortha work.

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

There are other casting number head's which are very close to the 049 head's I have a set on Mine, but I'd have to pull a valve cover, to see the damn number.

With bigger exhaust valve's, they flow like gangbuster's, and have excellant torque, throughout the powerband.

7. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Get yourself a 2 bolt then buy some aftermarket splayed main caps. The splayed 4 bolt caps are much stronger than the stock 4 bolt.

I have the largest (that I know of) collection of casting numbers if you need a hand identifying anything. I have most of it compiled into a data base so its easy to look stuff up.

Good luck and extra good luck finding those aluminum heads /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i believe 781 are the ones like the 049's, but for some reason they dont seem to be as common, atleast around here...

9. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

781's ring a bell in my head, I think they are the one's! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Add some larger exh. valve's and have the machine shop,hog out the bowl's, [they have a tool called a bowl hog] it make's porting, cleaning the bowl's up, alot faster. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Then add a good 3 or 4 angle seat's, and your ready to Rock! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. BowtieRed

ok, well maybe i'll get some stock ones with 049- think those could pump 600hp with some porting and new rockers etc? could i find a good set of LS6 heads for a decent price? i know i have a lot of questions, but i really want to make this thing haul!
    thanks,
    red

www.speedomotive.com has some kits working it out to close to 572CI. . .but i was thniking 496 would be good.

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Why would you want 600 hp? Thats a lot you know. More than you would need for any type of off roading especially rock crawling.

Generally, you will get higher hp's with rectangle port heads but if I were you, I would concentrate more on torque and use the more common oval port heads instead. Just build a mild engine that will be capable of doing 400-500 hp. With that in mind, you should have a torque monster that puts out over 500 ft. lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

No You don't want Rectangle port head's, only good for High RPM use, settle on Large oval Port Head's, not the small peanut port's, but Large Oval, circa, mid 70's, chevelle's, monte's, pickup's, K30 Guy is correct, it easy to pull 500 ft. lbs. of torque out of Oval port head's, Build it for Torque, and horsepower just is a side benefit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. BowtieRed

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!! ahhhhh
    I do mud runs- i need horsepower. i do now rockcrawl. the only rocks in NC are on the beach, they are crushed up and called sand! i have got to spin them tires fast! yes, i need torque too, but torque with come with hp- i am so obsessed with HP i REALLY should drag race. i need a muscle car- but i LOVE running in the mud so i want something powerful enough to do both /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

in my mind i need 600hp- so could stock heads with a little porting do it? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    note- i'm looking to spend $5-700 on some new or slightly used aluminum heads, then port and polish them.

[/ QUOTE ]

A buddy of mine has a backup set of 454 heads for his drag van, he joked about selling them to pay for the supercharger repairs. PM me and I'll send you his email address if your interested

15. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Now We understand! Mudrun's o.k. You do need High Rpm power, and torque too, Grassahoppa, you need to be clearer on what You mean. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. BowtieRed

lol- i just end up saying that in every thread where i mention horsepower, i DO need start mentioning that earlier /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    781's ring a bell in my head, I think they are the one's! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Add some larger exh. valve's and have the machine shop,hog out the bowl's, [they have a tool called a bowl hog] it make's porting, cleaning the bowl's up, alot faster. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Then add a good 3 or 4 angle seat's, and your ready to Rock! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    How much do you think that work would cost to have done including parts? Also, do you know how big the combustion chambers are on these heads?

18. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I had Everything done to my head's, I think all the work was around $280.00, I bought bigger valve's from Summit. Valve's were around $100.00
    So, 280.00 and 100.00 = 380.00

Magnaflux Head's
    Sandblast Head's
    Mill Head's
    Add Bronze Guide's
    Bowl Hog Bowl's
    3 angle valve seat's
    increase exh. valve seat's diameter

19. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I've got a set of alum heads that are made for HP...titanium valves and valve keepers, ported and polished...I had them in a jet boat and ran 8300rpms... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just build a mild engine that will be capable of doing 400-500 hp.

[/ QUOTE ]

MILD /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Nothing mild about that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif