Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block Hydroboost pic request!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Xtremjeepn, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn 1/2 ton status

I've searched but can't find a picture. Help me out here I am a visual learner:wink1:

I picked up a truck that had Hydroboost in it but no motor. I put my 454 from my other truck in it and want to get the hydroboost working. I "think" I have all the mounting figured out but might be missing some parts.

If someone could post a picture on they set up on a big block (preferably with headers) that would help a lot. Thanks.

2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Here's a link http://yukon.b0xen.us/hydraulicclutch.html showing the hydroboost I put on my 69.

I am using a system off of a 1989 1 ton with a 454. I don't know if this will help, but here goes.

A high pressure hose goes from the powersteering gearbox #1 to #8 on the hydroboost brake master.

A low pressure hose goes from the powersteering gearbox #2 to a powersteering cooler then to the low pressure side of the power steering pump #3.

Another low pressure hose goes from the powersteering pump #5 to #7 on the hydroboost brake master.

Lastly a hose goes from #6 on the hydroboost brake master to the powersteering pump #4. I think this is a hypressure hose, but I can't tell from the attached pic or from my memory. PM me if you want me to double check as I could not find my original notes to make sure the above is correct for the #4 and #5 connections.

Hydroboost master

[​IMG]

powersteering gear box

[​IMG]

powersteering pump

[​IMG]

3. Xtremjeepn

Glad to have that knowledge, thanks.

I am more looking for a picture of the pump mounting on the block, and where the resevoir mounts. All the lines are hooked up already.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

HB pump is the same as a regular PS pump, and the reservoir should be around the pump ... or do you have an external reservoir?

Post up what year big block, ie.. serpentine or V-belt, and maybe we can do pix of the brackets, if you don't have them?

-- A

5. Xtremjeepn

Truck is an 82. The entire big block is from a 74. V belt. The brackets are different from one set up to the other.

I figured out where the pump mounts. It looks like it has one hole that used to mount to an exhaust manifold bolt. I have headers so it looks like I need a spacer there.

There is an external resivoir with a bracket on it but I have no idea where it mounts. Can I replace the hose with a longer one and add more fluid?

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Here's an Illustration that may help you, from the GM parts books
    Click on the image for the Full-Size version

[​IMG]

dremu's right. Those power steering pumps are the all same from late 60's to present. They have many different resevoirs (those interchange easily though), fittings in the resevoirs are different (number of fittings, flare or o-ring type etc, but again, the resevoir pops off pretty easily), sometime in the 90's they changed the hole taps to metric for mounting, but internally, it's the same basic pump and casting that was being produced in the 60's and the same pump on the new GMT900. It's one of those rare pieces that seem to defy time and technology.

7. Xtremjeepn

I have both pumps and they are different and use different brackets.

My external res has a different bracket than in that picture(part 42)

8. dremu

Umm, BOTH pumps? :confused:

Factory had one pump for power steering AND hydroboost. Methinks you have something interesting, i.e. cobbled together or aftermarket.

Wanna post pix of what you've got?

-- A

9. Xtremjeepn

I only have one pump on the truck. What I meant was that I have the original 74 non-hydroboost set up and the 82 hydroboost and the pumps are different with different brackets.

10. dremu

Oh, whew.

Bracketry differs by engine, at least. Looks like they differ by year as well.

Shouldn't matter if it's hydroboost or not, as the pumps are the same, save the extra plumbing. When I went to HB, I used the same bracketry as before.

That said, on mine, a '74 454, looks like the following pix from the factory manual.

There are two brackets:

One is fairly flat (#14 in the pic), with a 1/2" bolt for the adjustment, attached to the water pump, and then two (7/16"?) bolts onto the left side of the steering pump face.

The other cradles the bottom of the steering pump, #15 in the pic. The U-shape on the back captures the stud on the back of the steering pump and it bolts to the right side of the pump face.

This bracket attaches directly to the block with two bolts, below the water pump, and one on the side (above #3 and 4 in the pic).

Brackets are highlighted in the second pic for clarity, I hope.

My engine compartment is torn apart at the moment, so if this looks like your setup, lemme know and I can take any pix you want that don't involve the engine =))

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/454psbrackets.jpg

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/454psbrackets-hilited.jpg

-- A

11. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

Here is a stupid question what is hydro boost exactly. correct me if i'm wronge but it sounds as if it is a power steering pump drived boost for your brakes? why not just use a gm vacume boost for brake assit.?

12. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

it uses power steering hydraulic pressure instead of vacuum. way better braking power. and it works great on motors with lumpy cams that don't make much vacuum, or diesels.

13. Xtremjeepn

Have any more pictures of your crew cab? The truck I am building is a custom short bed crew cab.

14. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

how much better would the brake press. be? does the brakes really work that much better?

15. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

16. nova

nova 1/2 ton status

What is all needed to convert to hydro boost brakes in a 77 blazer?

17. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Someone needs to post a full hydroboost tech writeup on the tech forum or the root CK5 site given the volume of discussion on this subject.

:wink1:

18. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Basicly you need the booster from a like year truck. Ie the one pictured if for a 88-99 truck. Any one from a 73-91 truck should work. Just make sure on the cross over years you are getting it from an older body style truck. The older ones have 6 bolts holding it to the firewall that I have seen. The newer ones have 4.

If you are pulling it from a truck also get the master and the lines. IIRC the master is different between the vac boost and the hydro boost trucks.

As far as I know there isnt much difference between the hydroboost power steering pump and the stock one. Major difference is that it has 2 return ports. Some have an external tank.

The lines run like this...high pressure from the pump to the hydroboost, return from the hydroboost to the pump, high pressure from the hydroboost to the box, return from the box to the pump. In theory you can combine the 2 returns into the one port on the stock pump.

[​IMG]

Its a pretty easy swap. Basicly bolts in.

19. dremu

Also get the brake pedal from the donor, as they are different (lever is different and mounts higher up. Or was it lower?)

And yes, the masters are different.

-- A

20. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I dont recall any issues with the pedal. Altho now it is different as i have a 79 setup on a 70 firewall. That one didnt line up at all. :confused::D