Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big block install question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big'nBadK5, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

So today i'm bolting up the headers to the BBC i just put in (along with a 465 and 205) and i notice that the fuel pump i put in the was bent (the inlet) and holding the motor up. so i pull it out and was going to install the old fuel pump off my 305 and i was just wondering if it'll work, it looks to me like the arm is smaller on the 305 pump and it's smaller on the bottom. thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

My memory and checking with my Jeg's catalog shows they are different.

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I used a 350 fuel pump on my 454 in a pinch. It worked until I put the correct one on.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Dont do it! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifThe small block pump will bolt on,and work for a short time,then it will crack near the flange and it usually separates from the engine and lets oil leak all over,and it quits right there /forums/images/graemlins/eek.giftill you put the big block pump on.I know this because I had a 454 in a truck and tried the smallblock pump and it lasted long enough to get me 5 miles from home,and I walked to the autozone two miles away and bought an electric pump and a block off plate for less than 30 bucks and ended that problem--right on the side of the road!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI have sold many fuel pumps in my parts counter days,and many people werent sure of the engine size(they'd say "its a 400",but they didnt know if it was the 402 big block or the 400 small block)and when they came back pissed with a broken in half pump I'd have to sell them the big block one(which does look nearly identical of course,but IS different)and then usually end up having a fight with the customer and my boss over it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif....glad I dont do that anymore! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif