Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big block intake question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eldon519, Jul 17, 2003.

1. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Can someone give me some advice on what intake to run? I'm planning on a 489 or 496. I just got a set of #781 heads to run with it. I'm trying to decide between a Edelbrock Performer and a Weiand Stealth. I've heard that the oval ports on the Performer are a compromise between the large oval port and small oval port design. I understand that the Weiand offers true large oval ports. The problem is that I'd like to run a Q-jet and I don't believe the Weiand is available in a spreadbore design...any advice? Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

You can always use an adapter plate

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I run an Edlebrock performer on mine, and it's crisp, clean, quick. With a Q-jet. I have never been a fan of Weiand. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

no advice on the manifold but i got one thing to say........496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 496 o did i mention do a 496. Im buidling one with 049 heads (same as 781) and am stickin the edelbrock TBI to EFI conversion on it so i dont have the intake worries. have fun, btw, ran my 496 through desktop dyno and got 485hp and 558tq, so go 496 lol. Damn the gas mileage, full speed ahead.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I am a huge fan of Edelbrock stuff...Not so much a fan of Holley and Weiand stuff...I say Edelbrcok Perfromer and port match to the heads....

Chris

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

There is'nt enough material in the manifold to enlarge the port's as large as even the standard oval port's. Been there, tried that. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

The only reason I was really considering the 489 is in case someday I decide to tear down the engine and rebuild it. Then I can still bore the engine over some more without needing a new block.

Thanks for the advice though guys. I'm now down to one dilemna. I've always heard that running an adapter plate is a half-a$$ way of doing things. Now my only real decision in my mind is to pick the better of two evils: would it be better to run the Weiand with an adapter or the Performer with mis-matched ports? Which would likely hamper performance more?

8. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

How about the Edelbrock Performer RPM Q-Jet. This fits oval port heads and accepts the Q-Jet.

9. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Does it have fullsize large oval ports and would it kill my bottom end? Thanks for the idea /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

If Edelbrock really has smaller oval ports then stay away from it. You want to match the oval heads. My Holley MPFI manifold was like that and I was pissed. It was like a cross between a peanut port and oval.
    [​IMG]
    I ported it to match my rect-oval ports but I'm sure its not perfect. This time with the engine out, I might have a shop do it or find a true rect-oval manifold to match my Edelbrock heads.

By matching your ports, you won't kill your bottom end. Stock GM manifolds are true oval ports. But you will have better flow which will be nice on top.

11. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Hmm, well if it is more important to match ports I suppose I'll probably just go with the Weiand Stealth with the adapter plate. Either that or I saw a manifold that was really cheap by a company called Professional Products, anyone ever heard anything about them? Thanks again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i run a edabrock performer 2.0 intake w/ a set of 049 heads. there was plenty of room to port match them to my heads, & it was a good thing. i had to remove over a 1/4 inch from some spots to port match & a 1/8 inch in most.

13. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Do you know the dimensions of the oval ports on your 049 heads? I know both Edelbrock and Weiand list the dimensions of their oval ports on their websites but I can't find the dimensions of the 049 or 781 ports to match them up. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmm, well if it is more important to match ports I suppose I'll probably just go with the Weiand Stealth with the adapter plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you need an adapter plate?

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/AMS/AMSM/8005WIN.html

Features
    Machined for standard deck blocks.
    High rise/dual plane design.
    Idle-6500 RPM power band.
    No EGR provision.
    Spread bore and square bore carburetor mounting flanges
    Installation
    Square bore carburetors may require plate P/N 9006 to seal properly. Will fit tall blocks with use of Weiand manifold spacer plate kit, P/N 8206

[​IMG]

Just trying to save you the port work. I think all manifolds are pretty much equal if they match the head ports.

15. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Wow thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I never even saw that one while thumbing through my Summit, Scoggins-Dickey, Jegs, etc. catalogs. I think that could be the solution to my dilemna. Thanks for the help guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif