Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block-K5 Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Dec 6, 2000.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Slowly but surely, I'm getting closer to swapping my 454 into my rig ('75). My question is concerning clearance for the distributor at the firewall and the driver side valve cover under the brake booster. I plan on running an HEI distributor, will I have to indent the firewall to create clearance? I'm using M/T finned valve covers which appear to be taller than stock, will the driver's side one fit under the master cylinder booster? I know big blocks came in some of the regular pick up truck bodies so I imagine clearance shouldn't be an issue, but I just want to make sure so I can plan ahead. What about a 1" body lift? But then I have to worry about clearance for the fan inside the shroud. Thanks![​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Plenty of clearance. I am running aluminum valve covers on my 454 in my '77 and there's plenty of room. Also, my buddy ran a 454 with MT valve covers in his '73 with no probs. Also, plenty of room for the HEI. Quit worrying and slam that sucker in there!!!

ken

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

The HEI will fit ok. It will be a bit close, but will not hit the firewall unless your body mounts are really bad. Also, I had those M/T covers on my 454 in my 77 GMC. Besides leaking like hell, they fit well and were easy to remove on the driver's side. BTW if you are running roller rockers those covers wont fit over them...

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

4. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies guys! I just wnated to make sure. I pulled the whole front clip off so I figured since I already have the radiator support off, it'd be easier to install a body lift IF needed. I'm glad I won't have to. Believe me Ken, I want to slap that thing in there ASAP too! Time is the key factor here, but it will get done by Christmas, I hope.
    Squash,
    I'm not running roller rockers, so I should be okay there. I'll be extra careful installing the vlave covers and gaskets, so hopefully I won't get any leaks. Thanks again. [​IMG]

5. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Don't forget a larger radiator(3/4 ton taller 4 core), shroud, and new motor mounts. The SB and BB mounts look indentical but I was told they were different compound of rubber.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

6. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

the motor mounts are the same Part #, even for a 6.2. I would upgrade the cooling capacity however, when I went from 6.2 to 5.7 the shroud worked perfectly, so a 7.4 should fit also........I think...........js

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Remember that the 454 was available from the factory in pickups and Suburbans. They share the same design as the K5, so if the 454 fit into them, it will fit into your K5 as well. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

According to partsamerica.com, the part #'s are not the same.

Example:

85 Chevy K30 454:
    Anchor Motor Mount #2395 $11.99
    L&S Motor Mount #M2395 $9.99

85 Chevy K5 350:
    Anchor Motor Mount #2292 $8.99
    L&S Motor Mount #M2292 $8.29

The newer 350 radiators are usally too small for any BB. If you go with a bigger radiator, the shroud may not fit over the larger radiator not to mention the shroud was touching the block since the BB is longer. When I went with a 3/4 ton 4 core I had to get a new shroud.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods[​IMG]

9. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Shawn,
    I had heard the same thing about the mounts. They look idenitical but the rubber in the big block mounts is denser/harder to withold the extra torque of a big block. Radiator wise I was planning on going with either a one ton 454 radiator which is only $192 at AutoZone or a 6.2 disiel K5 radiator, which I've been told is even bigger. I'll take a look at both of them and decide after seeing them. The disiel one is $350, so if the difference isn't that big, I'll save the $150 and get the big block one. I've got a lot of work ahead, but I'll keep y'all posted on the progress. Thanks.....

10. realsquash

11. realsquash

12. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Screw the shroud and fan! Go with electrics. It'll add a few horses and work better anyway...

Just my 2 cents(I do have a 468 in a black 67' camaro (in Texas!) and run dual electric fans on a 4 core radiator),

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

13. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go with an electric fan it will add horses + more room up front and if you hook it to a remote power source you can turn it off 4 water crossings :)

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

14. realsquash

15. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Make sure you get a BB fan shroud. I'm still using the SB one and think that's what is causing my heating problems at idle. The thing will warm up while idling for 3+ minutes. I believe its the shroud, as its too long and the fan is way inside it, and I've heard that only 1/2 of the fan blades should be covered by the shroud. Dunno, but I'll be installing a BB shroud one day and letcha know.

ken

16. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Squash,
    I'll call ORD and get the details about the mounts, I believe in insurance, so if they sound like they're worth it, I'll choose those. About the radiator I have now, I'm sure it's a three row, not a four row. It's a shame because it's in good shape, it was probably recently replaced. So how did you tear up a six month old mount?
    About the shroud, if I go with a mechanical fan, I'll definitely get the appropriate shroud. Haven't really considered going with electric, I'm hesitant due to the amount of heat a big block produces.
    Ken,
    I've read the same thing about the position of the fan blades. It has to due with the physics involved, so replacing the shroud should cure it.[​IMG]

17. realsquash

I've got a picture of the ORD mounts... http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash/graphics/truckpix/ORDmotormounts.jpg How did I tear mine up? One trip to the sand dunes and I rubbed a hole through my oilpan on the front crossmember. That's over 1/2" of settling. I've now got the ORD mounts and the pan has not moved a bit. It's a good 1/2" away. I know you've got your homemade one for your steering, but like you said, it's insurance.

Gotta have a shroud, gotta have a 4-core. Gotta have a mechanical fan IMHO. My 77 runs 180 no matter what the temp is, no matter how hard I am on it. I am not a believer in the electric fans.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

18. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Most electric fans, I don't care who makes them and if its dual or not, are not meant for anything over 350 cubes anyways. Read the package, most of them are not recommended for engines over 350 cubes. I likes my stock heavy duty clutch fan and 7 blade factory fan. Now I just gotta install that BB shroud.

ken

19. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Squash,
    Dammmmnnnn, your floor is clean! LOL! Thanks for the pics, those are some serious mounts. How much were they? I take it the piece with the bushing in it, replaces the original perch that bolts to the crossmember. I'm clueless about the steering one your talking about. [​IMG]
    I think I'll stick with the mechanical fan as well. NOT that electrics are bad, I'm just hesitant. There's more parts that could fail with the electrics, with a mechanical (clutchless, like a Flex-fan) the only way the fan stops is if the engine stops, and that's a bigger problem.[​IMG]
    I know my geography sucks, but there's sand dunes in Wisconsin/mid-west? I'm not trying to make fun, just wondering where you were on the dunes.[​IMG]

20. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

for what its worth I went to pep boys during lunch. The part numbers are different, The motor mounts are identical, including the grade of rubber used. The only difference would be how they bolt into the engine compartment, with more or less bolts. I found this out by calling the company that makes their mounts from pep. The guy at pep also said they change the part numbers so they can charge more money for a BB mount. Then again this is pep boys, but I did see all three mounts with the different part numbers, they all looked the same. And from my own experience, I did use the old diesel mounts with the 350...........js