Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block Options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok so I've been thinking that I might just leave the 500 in the 81 2wd truck for a pre-runner project and go with a newer BB for the k5 project. I figure it would make more sense than paying out the ass for a custom aftermarket FI kit and deal with the hassle of running it with a standard.

I got to thinking about this when I found an add for a salvage auction that is open to the public. I could buy a newer vehicle that had a rear end collision that has a BB with FI already and just rob everything for my truck.

I want an engine with build up potential. I have a dream of a fuel injected 500hp/600lb-ft engine with a long flat torque curve that can still run off of pump gas. I am wondering what the best engine to start with would be. I know a vortec 454 could probably be turned into that but what other options do I have? What years would be the best to look for? How about weight? That was what originally attracted me to the 500. Aluminum heads would help with that.

I realize that this will not be a cheap build but I don't need some of those crazy $20000 crate engines. Just something that could be built into what I described.

Let me know what the cool guy motors are :D

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Just can't beat a crate motor...

My BB is close to this one, and I spent a comparable amount and waited for 6 months....

Marv

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

How readily do those engines respond to aftermarket FI on the market?

Would it be cheaper to start with a base engine with FI already or start with a built motor and add FI?

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Buy my motor. 468 BBC Bowtie alum heads, 540 horse. $3000.
    [​IMG]

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

damn I wish I was ready to buy right now. How come your selling it?

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It was in my car, 78 Malibu. Got tired of the car thing, so I sold it less motor. I was going to put in my 62 4wd Suburban, but I have to cut the firewall and move it forward, along with putting in a newer style crossmember. I really don't want to do all that, seeing how i can just literally drop in a small block and go. I don't need a motor like this, don't have a use for it anymore. Thought about putting it in my 89, but that is TBI, and i like having TBI. Just want to sell it so I can hopefully finish one of my projects.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Go with a tall deck 427 and build a 540, 9:1 CR and enjoy...should be really easy to get into your target power range while running pump gas.

Rene

8. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Hey that sounds like fun. Is it a stroker engine? Got any info on it? :D

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

With the type of horsepower numbers you are talking about. It is going to take an expensive FI system to provide the fuel requirements it is going to have. A factory TBI will not do it. A carburetor would be the cheap way to run the kind of HP you are looking for.

I think 500 HP is a lot of HP for the street. I do not know if you have ever tried to drive a 500 HP Big Block on the street, but I have, and it is a bit of a tense experience. I only drove this vehicle on weekends, when the weather was clear and sunny. I remember taking a couple of dates out in this car (many years ago before I got married). When they saw the car sitting in my garage, they thought it was coolest thing they ever saw. But after riding in for a few hours, they said they did not like it because it was like riding in a freight train, and gave them a headache.

I am thinking of putting a TBI injected Big Block in my Crew Cab. I was going to buy a GM Goodwrench direct replacement Mark IV 454 crate engine. This engine has an estimated 245 HP/290 Torque. I am going to put in a mild/computer compatible/RV camshaft, aluminum intake manifold, shorty headers, and a Holley Pro-jection 650 CFM TBI onto it. This should raise the engine specs to roughly 275 HP/330 Torque. The Holley 650 CFM Pro-jection TBI should be able to handle these engine specs, with a little custom chip tuning. A big block 454 with 330 Foot Pounds of Torque will move a vehicle down the road much faster than most people are accustom to.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

This engine will be for my 4x4. It is a project to create a vehicle that excels in all types of off-roading. I need it to have fuel injection for rock-crawling, and huge hp/tq #'s for mud and high speed. I am willing to pay for a fuel injection system that will provide that for me. My current 355 puts out approx. 300hp and 400lb/ft and I know I will need more once i get the 42's on. A stroker would be great for the kind of torque I am looking for. Just a big # stroker :D

11. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

I say get another caddy and put FI onto it.

:D :D

12. 1-ton

Something like this Holley Commander 1000 CFM MPFI should do the trick. Along with a really hot roller cam, and 10.5:1 flat tops.

[​IMG]

13. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

ha ha yeah but it is just so much between putting it behind a standard and getting the FI. The only kit i saw anywhere was over $4000. Believe me i would love to have a fuel injected 500 in front of a nv4500. that would be sweet. :D

14. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

What is the cost of one of those set-ups?

15. 1-ton

With shipping and everything...about $3200.

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Here is my 454:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1973 454 bord 30 over
    336781 heads w/oversized valves (completely rebuilt)
    CompCam - mild custom grind for my buildup
    Keth Black pistons
    about 9.3 compression
    Edelbrock Pro-Flo MPFI (rumor has it the Holly Commander 950 has better or eaisier tuning computer that hooks to a laptop instead of Edel's handheld unit...once it's tuned no real need to change it so user preferance..)
    This engine was totaly balanced..even the clutch/pressureplate assy...
    The block heads and intake were also ground to line up perfectly and to make sure the surfaces were perfectly flat.
    I built this thing for idel to 5000rpm..all lowend torque and continious duty type work.
    I am very happy with the way it came out.
    It has been suggested that the reason for the numbers to fall after 4100RPM is the Thorley Tri-Y headers. The Tri-Y design is only usefull at lower RPMs..heck I have most of my torque before 2000rpm so what do I care habout anything over 4K...I will be shifting by then anyway hahahaa
    The 454 is a great torque engine...Stump Pullin RAT!!!
    YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
    :D

PS ~ A good sequential fire EFI setup is AWSOME! I don't care what brand or flavor it is...Throttel responce is like no other!
    RAAAAAT!:bow: :bow:

17. 1-ton

Dude! That is so sweet. You definitly have a keen eye for detail. You would be surprised at how many people out there don't.

[​IMG]

18. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That is a great looking engine. I have thought seriously about putting a BB in my '90 K5. It still has the original 350. I'm wondering if the extra expense is worth it though. I figure I could build a stout 383 for less than a BB and have plenty of power. I need "grunt" to pull my camper with.

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys...took a long time to complete....

My opinon is a mild build up on a BBC is way more reliable that a radical build up SBC.. A high power SBC can easily cost more than a mild build up on a 454. The cost cutter would be to get a complete running when pulled 454 cheep and go from there...
    I knew I wanted the power & High Lowend torque but I didn't want to sacrafice reliability. It is tuff to get real torque power out of a SBC without a massive build up...sure it is possable..just not the road I choose.
    How do they say it? There is no replacement for displacement...or something like that...basically Bigger IS Better :D

20. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

I like the road you chose, I bought a mark IV less a crank and intake, no big deal sense a crank new is a few hundred and I bought a edelbrock mpfi kit that convert a stock tbi setup to muiltport for more power response and millage. I'm lookin for around 10 to 10.5 to 1. Forged pistens, some titainum rods off ebay and a forged crank. Also lookin into a cpc ingntion from msd with 4 or 8 coils and a flying magnet crank trigger.