Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big block or not

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrider_44s, Mar 29, 2004.

1. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

I am trying to decide if i want to but a big block in my rig or build a smally is the extra weight worth the bottom end tork or should you stay smaller and build some power.
    the 454 i'd use would be almost stalk.
    if I went with a small block chev i'd think i'd build a 383 stoker i'd like to use vortec heads haven't qiute picked out all the parts for it yet. any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

If you can find a 454 cheap it's about the same cost to rebuild as a small block. The initial price of big blocks is what costs the money. A 383 buildup will probably cost more than a stock 454 rebuild, and will be less reliable.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I agree on stockish big block . If you have the money to spend on quality parts put them in an engine that will build good power reliably. I am a small block guy through and through , unless I had 44's or a heavy truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. highrider_44s

i got one lined up 500 bones /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gifhaven't heard it run yet. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif but is the extra wieght going to make a difference in the off road scene. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It depends on your uses.

In my "mud or nothing" days I was all about putting a big block in my truck.

Now my attitude has changed severely and I see no need or want for one anymore.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As someone who has owned both big and small blocks in K5's, I can honestly say the big block is the way to go. The torque from the big block will more then make up for the extra wieght. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    If you are worried about the weight, a Caddilac big Block (472/500) weights approx 40lbs more than a small block when you swap an aluminum intake on it. The stock intake doesnt breathe all that well and is a real PIG. The Caddys are so much lighter than a 454 due to a higher nickle content in the blocks. they have NO shortage of power and torque, and usually slap a 454 around as far as mileage is concerned, they well suited to our type of vehicles.

The Caddy swap is more involved than a regular 454. Do a search, read up and decide if its right for you.

I have never heard a single person in a fullsize truck or blazer regret swapping in a big block. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. pauly383

Caddy's are cool, but Chevy's need Chevy motors. In MY opinion , but to each their own /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's absurd to make a comment like that. The Caddy V8 is a much better choice for many people. There is no replacment for displacement.

That said, if I put a big block in my truck I think I'd probably regret it. The additional bottom end would be nice but at a serious cost at the gas pump.

If I want more torque, I downshift. I enjoy driving my truck on the road once in a while so the 350 does me just nicely. I think the ideal would be a 383 or 400 with MPFI though.

10. highrider_44s

i've heard about the caddy 500 I read in a artical for a build up goes something like this
    500 caddy block
    i think it was 472 heads
    aluminum intake
    and mild aftermarket cam
    it's been awhile since i red it but thats the basic
    soppose to make retarded amounts of tork /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    they titled the artical the tork pig they claimed 5-600ft pounds
    the build up wasn't to exspensive if you can find the parts.

11. pauly383

I have read that before I think . They will make god awful amounts of torque. They won't rev as high though but that won't matter in a truck. I have even seen a caddy converted to propane before in a K5 (magazine I think 3 or 4 years ago). They are an option. Keep in mind you can put anything you want in there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[​IMG]

nuff said /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. t's85chevyk5

t's85chevyk5 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The additional bottom end would be nice but at a serious cost at the gas pump.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad put a stock, used 454 in his 3/4 74 burb and he still gets the same 8 mpg as he did with the 350. SO it's a lot more fun to drive now. I would go big block. I have a blazer with a small block and my dad's ride is quicker and can haul anything without feeling it. Rollerize the bigblock if your concerned about gas milage. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

BBC is the only way to go in my opinion...Only reason I am keeping a SBC in my '71 Shortie is b/c I have the block and it is going to be...um less than normal... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I love my BBC..can't wait for a roller cam a aluminum heads..

Chris

15. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I got lucky and scored a complete "running when pulled" 454 for $175!
    I have never drivin a BBC before.
    I WAS going to dump all my $$$ on a crate 350, not the stock one. Then I scored the 454 and I was able to stay within my budjet I had for the crate 350. The 454 is going to be a simple mild buildup using parts for lowend/towing. This will give me the high numbers in HP & Torque I was looking for WITHOUT sacraficing reliablitiy.
    I was even able to buy Edelbrock's MPFI setup, GM only made TBI for BBCs. I was gonna do TPI on my 350 but now I get the best of both...reliability and POWER!!!!!!!!!!
    YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBC!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Why not a SB 400? more torq and less weight, and you can use your current drivetrain setup or find a multitude of aftermarket parts. IMO

18. highrider_44s

i've heard of lots of guys running the 400 but i've been yet to find one for sale /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif also is't the water jacket a little different something to do with the way it flows through the block into the head. so that being said are you limmited to the type of head you can use? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

The weight argument against a 454 is absured. A 454 may weight about 200# more than a SBC but the power differential is huge compared to the weight differential. Then if you throw aluminum head and intake on a BBC, it will weight damn near the SAME as a SBC. I wouldn't trade the 454 for anthing (except maybe a Cummins 5.9B is somebody else swapped it in my truck for me )

Chris

20. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I'd go with the big block and if weights a problem go with the caddy engine about the same as a small block