Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big block question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89Jimmy, May 23, 2003.

1. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I'm looking at repowering my K5 with a 427. I'm currently running a 350.My 700r4 was rebuilt about a year ago with a new stock torque converter. Will a big block require a different torque converter or will I be ok with the one I have? Thanks.
    John

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Dude, unless you had the 700 SUPER rebuilt, don't put it behind a BBC...you will toast it...If you are hell-bent on using the POS 700r4 behind a Big Block the stock converter will work, although I gernerally like a slightly higer stall speed...

Chris

3. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

700r4 & BB NO problem... Butttt... Need to replace some parts, about $700, and you will need a trans with a 30 spline input shaft...the 27 wont do.. will wind out of the drive shell...
    see:
    http://www.kdsperformance.com/kdsperformance/
    and also
    http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/

Usual parts, front pump with more vanes, bigger servo, bigger presure relief valve and boost valve... and the most expensive ($300), input shaft and drive shell set...

Add master rebuild kit, with high performace band, and a vb reprogramming kit...

Expensive, but WELL worth it...

Just be VERY carful of the TV adjustment.. critical with a 700r4

have done 4, one is in my 1978 K20, behind a mildly modified 1989 454.. Picked up nearly 8mpg over a TH400 with a wide ratio 2.75 first gear and 2200rpm converter

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif