Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big block ?s for the experts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K1Orion, Jun 25, 2003.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I just got my SDPC and am looking at a 502 short block .It is the short block used for the 502/502 with forged pistons and a roller cam. lift .527/.544 and 224/234 dur @.050. My question is can I use the set of heads I have? #6272292 oval port cast heads from a 71 402.
    If so , any ideas on the power it will make?
    And also, does the genVI have the spot for a mechanical fuel pump?
    Also saw the ACDelco reman. engines are inexpensive($2649 for a 454) Any opinions of these motors? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Thanx

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Gen V1's require an electric pump....

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Check at the part's dept. I don't think gen IV head's will seal the water jacket core hole's on the gen5 block.

If it leak's coolant, it will leak big time.

4. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I don't think any gen IV heads will work on a gen VI block. Contact Scoggin Dickey they are the experts and should be able to hook you up with a good set of heads.

5. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Hey! Those are the exact same heads I'm using on my 489 stroker builup! Seriously, I think the other two guys are right, MKIV heads won't properly mate with Gen V block. I would look at Merlin or Pro Top line of heads for that 502, if you wanted some good performance but can't spend a fortune. Just a thought!

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

First, find out if it is a Gen V or Gen VI block...THERE IS A DIFFERENCE...A Gen IV head (the type you have) WILL work on EITHER block, but on the Gen V block, they requre the use of a "conversion" head gasket set. You can use the older heads on a GenVI block with NO problem...I researched this topic greatly b/c I have a Gen V BBC and was looking at putting older "781" heads on it...I fianlly found the gasket set at Napa to let me do it...But I am holding out for the EDEL 6049 aluminum heads /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I couldno't find any morte info on the heads at Mortec.Are those 292 heads the oval ports with the small valves? or are the like 2.19/1.88 valves?
    Open or closed chamber? CC's? Runner size?

Personally, with a FT piston 502, I would go with some of those older closed chamber heads and port them a bit...they usually do pretty well...Head over to www.454ss.com and ask Ratfink what he thinks about the heads...

if these heads are worth their weight, the motor should make 500hp

Chris

7. glencanyonexplor

glencanyonexplor Registered Member

I am using that short block with the Merlin VR cast heads if I were you I would buy new heads,by the time you have old ones done with hard seats and new valves it's just not worth the trouble, the merlins were $1700. with severe duty valves,new head bolts and gaskets and a port job.

8. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Those #2292 heads have 2.06 intakes, 1.72 exhaust. They are open chamber design. I couldn't find published cc's, but I cc'd mine, and I got approx 110 (equipment wasn't exactly the best, but it got me in the ballpark). I also have a pair of the #781 heads.

9. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I had these heads on a 396 and they are already rebuilt.new seats,dual springs, new guides, stainless 2.06/1.72 valves, guide plates and studs. They are oval port and open chamber from the research I have done and the shop that assembled them CC'd them at 109 cc. The SDPC says it is a mark6 block so my heads should work, right?
    Also, any opinions of the ACDelco motors?
    I am only investigating my possibilities right now, I don't have the $ to do anything yet.

10. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Kool! At least my cc job was pretty close, even though I kinda had crappy stuff to do it with.

I don't know what SDPC is. I really don't think MK 4 heads will mate properly with a MK 6 block, but I'll let someone with more experience answer that one. There is a CK5 member with a handle of "Lonnie", I think he builds bbc for a living or something.

I have no experience, nor have I read anything on the AC Delco engines.

Its good to do the research, before spending the money on something that yer really not happy with. I spent quite a bit of time trying to find the parts/prices/reliability blend before I bought anything. I still managed to blow the budget, on all the "extras" that come with doing an engine swap.

Good luck with your project!

11. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

SDPCis Scoggin Dickey Parts Center

12. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeah, PM Lonnie...He knows his stuff....But ALL the books that I read on BBC's said that you CAN use MKIV head on a Gen VI block but you need a special head gasket to use it on a Gen V block...