Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

big block starter on a small block?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Nov 11, 2002.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

my batter cable shorted out my starter today so now i need to exchange my starter for a good one. i was thinking about using a starter from a big block for the higher torque since my engine compression is alot higher than stock. Would one bolt right in or what? Also, i had my valves adjusted this past weekend and now they have loosened up on me again, what the fudge!!! How do i keep them tightened down? Thanks alot

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Aside from the 12.75" or 14" flexplate/flywheel choice. The starters are the same for a smallblock or bigblock. If you have anything over 10:1 compression you may need a gear reduction starter. Anything under will be just fine with a stock one IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I'll second what 83ZZ4 Jimmy said....
    When I was looking for a starter for my 388 small block, I got one for a 1970 Corvette LS7 454. I figured a starter made to crank a 12:1 big block would have no trouble with my 9.46:1 small block.

As far a your loose valves....do you have posi-locks on your rocker studs? If you are running the stock crimped nuts they could be worn out and not holding the adjustment. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Most typical BBs use the same starter as a SB, so it wouldnt benefit you unless you used one that came on some special engine.

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

A trick I've heard about on worn out rocker nuts is to beat the end of the nuts with a hammer. This flattens the top of the nut a little and makes it tighter. I've never done this but I've HEARD it works. But as always it would be best to just replace them with new ones, preferably polylocks .

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Get a starter from a 96-up Vortec truck - they are all gear-reduction. They should be the same for the 4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L, and 7.4L.

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

There are two versions of the normal Chevy starter, low torque and high torque. A starter/alternator shop can convert a low torque starter to high torque. Anything from a mildly built 350 on up should use the high torque version. The best thing to do is have a shop rebuild yours, and make sure it is the high torque version.

8. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i just put a starter off of a 454 1970 LS7 corvette on my blazer and notice that it does have some trouble cranking it over when the timing is advanced a lil bit. i think im gonna hafta go for the gear reduction starter.

NITRO