Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block steering pumps vs. Small Block steering pumps

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know the trucks that used "Hydroboost" brakes used a remote style reservoir pump on them, but what about trucks equipped with BBC's and vacuum assist brakes......are the actual pumps the same as a SBC with different brackets for each, or were the pumps different?

TIA!

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The pumps were the same for me. The brackets had to be changed out. I think the only difference between the regular and the heavy duty units was the size of the pulley. I do not know for certain though.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've been dealing with the PS system for the last couple of weeks, so I've got some "insight". All of my dealings were for SBC, but I'm SURE the differences are similar.

First, there were multiple styles of pumps. Some are interchangeable, some are not. All same basic design, but from my experience, the mounting points (usually a stud) on the back of the PS pump can be different or nonexistent, precluding it from being used with some bracket systems.

Now, for the bracket systems, there are various styles. Most of the brackets are not interchangeable. 4.3L motor stuff will interchange with the SBC though, as long as it is the same pumpstyle. (note: 4.3's that I saw use a "factory" header on the drivers side, and the spacer used on that setup for the PS bracket that bolts to the exhaust manifold stud, fit my hedmann header setup exactly)

I think most of the differences in the pumps and bracket setups are based on the year. AC throws in more complications of course, but as I found, it's easier to grab the ENTIRE belt system (pulleys, alternator if serpentine, PS pump) than trying to piece one together. Been through untold numbers of pulleys, none fit my setup, ended up using a complete setup off of a car to make it all line up.

4. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

When I was hunting parts for BBB swap I had a hard time getting the right pump. The reservoir needed to be a little smaller above the pump and the pump needed a threaded hole in the back to make the brackets I had work. I can't remember what year it was from, Sorry.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

my burban donor vehicle has the remote resevoir pump and vacuum brakes.