Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block stroker??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Sep 21, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I guess the 383 is the most popular stroker engine, but it seems like we never hear of a BBC stroker. Are there any recipes for these engines? What are they and why have they not taken hold like the 383?

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Proably because they cost more to build. Just a guess.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

My guess would be cost + the fact that sbc's dramatically out number bbc's.

4. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I have seen 454s bored and stroked to 496. 500 hp seems to be a 'normal' power for them.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They have.

The 6 Liter and 8.1 liter that are the gas motors in the new GM full sized trucks are based off the 383 and 496 (stroked 454) respectively (of course with modern enhancements.

One reason why they haven't take off in the older BBC market is the number of BBC's compared to SBC's and machining costs involved.

6. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Look at ohiocrank.com they have a nice 496 kit thats not priced bad at all.
    I thought about it but ended up spending my $ on a ORD Gen2. A good running 454 has more than enough a$$ for almost any situation I could get into. It is fun to tell people that you got a stroker though :bow:

Some day I'll learn how to do the linky thing.

Jeff

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Mainly because most BBC's in truck world are already 454's with the longest stroke offered by the factory ( not including the newer 8.1 4-3/8" crank ). If a longer stroke is required , or desired, it has to be gotten from the aftermartket . As to where the SBC's got started creating a stroked 350 by using factory parts from a 400.
    Now days the after market is all over 3.75" stroke cranks for SBC's and they are very affordable. Cranks are avaialble for the BBC's but not quite as afordable and usually the BBC folks are not stopping at just a little longer stroke. They are wanting HUGE power increases and going for maximum cubic inches with taller decks and enormous cylinder bores.
    The 3.75" crank in a SBC is easy and affordable as to the longer stroke BBC's make for an aweful lot of side load on a 9.8" deck block.
    Also , for the most part , on a street/ trail driven truck a 454 usually exceeds the need for power while 350's bennefit greatly from the added stroke while still maintaining the smaller package.
    I hope this makes a little sense ? In a nut shell - BBC's rarely need a longer stroke in most normal applications and when they do a little bit ain't gonna cut it.There for a common stroked version of a 454 will not likely be ever as popular as the good ole 377"/383" SBC's .
    Tom

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

BBC strokers are too much fun :D

9. bayou blazer

bayou blazer 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of building a BBC stroker right now. I have a 454 block and will stroke it to 489 cu in ( bored .030) I am using an Eagle rotating assembly with modified 781 casting cast iron heads. It should be fun.