Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BIG Block Swap from donor, what do I need???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86haubs, Jan 8, 2007.

1. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Well I came across a free 77 2wd with a fresh 454. I am gonna put the engine in my burb, what exactly will I need? What problems will show up in the middle of the swap? I am sure it is a typical motor swap, but I just want to be sure.

Will my 700r4 be alright? I know they are not great for handling tq, is shifts great, has about 60k on it.

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

It will bolt to the trans and engine mounts. I would put the burb radiator in when you do the swap. As long as the engine is complete with accessories just pull it complete and drop it in and go. The only other thing I can think of is the exhaust. It will have to be modified to work. As for the trans, it will work but isn't the best choice for a BBC in my oppinion.

3. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

I figured it would be just the exhaust. The only thing I plan on taking is like you said, the radiator. I can not think of any thing else I might need. Even though I will have the donor sitting right there I do not want to bounce back and forth pulling all kinds of nick-nack crap from it. I want a smooth swap.

Will the long tube headers on te 454 cause a clearance issue with passenger rear shackle? I know they are barley touching with my 350.

4. aknight_sa

aknight_sa 1/2 ton status

when i changed my 350 with the 454 the things i needed to change were the radiator, engine mounts and flywheel...

the engine mounts for the 350 are smaller than the mounts for the 454. they wont be able to last for a long time with the heavy 454.

the flywheel which was installed on my 350 was a small one and the engine needed a flywheel with an external balancer...

i hope i didnt forget anything

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

alt p/s and a/c brackets are diffrent.

6. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

Good to know, I was almost certain that the ounts were the same, thanx for the heads up!

SWEETK30-
    I am taking all accessories with the engine, so that is no issues!

7. 86haubs

86haubs 1/2 ton status

akinght-
    When you did your swap did you put long tubes on the BB? I am a little concerned with clearance issues since my SB LT's do hit the shackle on the right side now??

8. aknight_sa

i installed exhaust..

9. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

If the 454 is from a two wheel drive, chances are the fuel pump is the "large" one, and will hit the engine crossmember. You'll need the short one from a K30 with a 454.
    Jimbo

10. aknight_sa

the one i swapped came from a 1991 2 wheel drive truck... and the pump is the big one... it fits fine...