Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block Swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eshorvath, Jul 5, 2004.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Im debating putting in a BBC, replacing my SBC...Any suggestions? Where can i get the bell housing to adapt, for my 4 speed manual? Anyone done it?
    Eddie

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

1. Take out smallblock
    2. Take motor mounts off smallblock and put on big block
    3. Drop bigblock in
    4. Drop in larger rad.

Thats about all there is too it, keep an eye on distributor clearance at the firewall. The bellhousing pattern is the same as any 1960's up chev smallblock.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

also if your going to run roller rockers youll need tall valve covers, which will require a body lift or some firewall massaging. I had a 2" body lift and had to do a bit of grinding to the plate the brake booster attaches to the firewall on. Other post is about correct in whats needed.

4. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

you need a big block flywheel. maybe big block mount otherwise everything else is the same. thats why you bought a chevy instead of a furd right? /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

As somebody else said you will need the bigblock flywheel, I think the pre 91 bigblock flywheels are different form the newer ones so you need to know what year big block you are getting before ordering the flywheel. I did not change my radiator and have not had any overheating problems. I am running a stock 454 with headers and dual exhaust and I am very happy with how it performs. Reliable and strong /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

there was just recently a thread on finding a flywheel when doing the sm465 and big block.

I curently am swapping out my small block crate from the 86 and throwing the big block from the 75 in it. I just love that throttle /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Plus it gives you a great reason to get new tires every year /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

-shawn

Kepp in touch and we can share info as we are both doing the sm465 and big block /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

How is your swap going?
    Eddie

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I have decided to put the big block in the 72 project now, the 86 will keep it's motor and the buggy will get the zz4 crate 350,

the 72 will get a t-400 if I can find one, if not it will get my sm465 2wd. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

How did your SBC/BBC swap go?
    Eddie

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You only need a different flywheel if you are using a 454.

11. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

This is the best thread I have seen in our first year with CK5. I have been asking for a separate forum just bbc 454's. No success, yet.

PO installed our 454 in our dd. The trans is a TH350. What are you guys running? We'd like the 700R for its overdrive. But we have read there are reliablility issues. If we had a good trans shop that could change out the drive shafts, we'd look more seriously at it.

How can I tell if the PO installed a different flywheel?

Thanks. Again.

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you're driving the truck, the flywheel was swapped. A 350 flywheel doesn't work on a 454. :cool1:

13. hero

hero Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that a 454 is externally balanced, and a small block (excluding the 400) are all internally balanced. This is why you would need the flywheel for the 454.

I know you said you're running amanual trans, but this may be helpful for someone else. Appearantly there is a different bolt pattern for the torque converter on a small block than there is a big block. I have a TH350 that had a small block in front of it. I dropped the 454 in, bolted up the motor mounts and bellhousing then realized that my torque converter bolts didn't line up. :o Luckily I had a th400 torque converter that was from a big block. Some converters have both patterns, but not mine.

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Some flex plates also have holes for both torque converter patterns. :cool1:

15. hero

hero Registered Member

Yup that's true. My small block flex plate does have both patterns, but that didn't really help me any. :D