Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block Upgrade

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIgJon, Jul 31, 2003.

1. BIgJon

BIgJon Registered Member

Hello Everyone,
    Have any of you installed a Chevy big block engine in your 4x4 Blazer. I have a really decent motor which I am considering putting in when I do a frame off this winter. I have many questions like: Are there motor mounts available for doing this? Are there any clearance issues with the steering column or A/C box?? I have a really healthy small block so it really isn't going to be a big increase in horsepower... But the extra torque would be fun.. Not to mention the looks I would get when I open the hood. Just wondering if it is worth the trouble.... ANy advice would be great.
    Thanks,
    Big Jon
    72 Canary Yellow Blazer

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think it is well worth the time to put in a big block. you can use the small block motors mounts. It will clear everything but the valve covers will on the firewall. You will need a body lift to help this. or you could move the motor forward. I think that is about it. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

The firewall clearance is the biggy. You may have to move the engine/tran's ahead to get the BB to fit. I did this last year, and the passenger side valve cover has about an inch of clearance between it and the valve cover.

You'll also have to stretch the rear driveshaft, and shorten the front driveshaft. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

5. BIgJon

BIgJon Registered Member

Hello,
    I just wanted to say thank you for the advice.. I have many things to work out concerning the bib block swap, except that I am definitely going to do it.
    If I can afford it, I am going to a 700r trans as well... I have a lot of work and money output ahead of me.... I will be sure to document all of this with plenty of photos.
    Thanks Again,
    BigJon

6. Big Sean E

Big Sean E Registered Member

DUDE WHOA!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I wouldn't go with a 700r4 behind a big block. I've got a really built 700r4 and it still wouldn't stand up to such a large engine. I've already burnt one out, and I'm using a regular 350, trans cooler, and the proper gears in the axle. Go with a TH400 with an overdrive unit. The 400 will take the brunt of the power, and the overdrive unit will give you that extra gear, or you can even use it to make your auto act like an 7 speed. Hope I changed your mind. And there's an electronic overdrive trans that they sell now, but you'd have to have one heck of a good truck budget.

Take care.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Art Carr makes a 700 that supposedly can handle 700HP, check out ORD's project jimmy with the FI 468 and 700. I have a 700 built with all the late model/performance parts behind a serious 406 SBC. I am making as much or more torque than a stock 454. I have 3/4ton running gear with 4.10's, 35" boggers and drive it like I'm running from cops. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I havent had any tranny problems.

85K5 3/4 ton,14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif