Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big block vs blown small block

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigk, Aug 20, 2001.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Would a Paxton or Vortec supercharger on a good 350 crate motor with efi be as good as a big block with out the swap hassle? What about the old style 671 on top, will it work with TBI?

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't recomend a Paxton or Vortec blower on a 4x4. My shop is a dealer for both of them. They are great products, but they use a oil line that you have to tap into the oil pan. When you tap into the pan, you punch a hole and screw it into the hole. Always leaks. The only way to make those seal is to drop the pan and weld in a piece of metal. The other bad part is the line sits low, and if it gets ripped off, you lose all your oil. Check into either ATI Procharger or Powerdyne. Both of these units are self contained. That means no oil line.

86 Blazer 4"lift 35" MTRs locked front, still 1/2 ton axles.Other vehicles 69 Firebird with 525 hp,and a 70 GTO www.geocities.com/modifierperformance

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

What are you plannin to do with the engine? The rig is never going ot see those kind of RPMs that the supercharger takes full advantage of. Lowend may get a kick in the pants but nothing you couldnt do with TPI or MPFI. The 6-71 TBI setup is possible but you will need a custom burnt chip and high perf. injectors. I would sooner go with a TPI small block. Or spend the $$ and get an accel system for a Big block.

4. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I one read an article in hot rod on how to make your blown engine last 20K. You could build a lot more hp into a BB for a lot less than super charger.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Unless you are running mudbogs, the blower will just be a pain in the neck. You could get alot of clean, reliable horsepower out of a big block for far less of an investment.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Personally, I'd rather run a normally-aspirated big motor than a forced-induction (blower, turbo) small motor for four-wheeling. Much simpler mechanically, therefore much more reliable.

It's a happy day in Marine Aircraft Group 49... 405 is ALIVE!!
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Nope... not worth the hassle... too high or rpm. Plus you can't just bolt it on a Goodwrench 350... compression would be WAY too high... get the bossst started and you'd blow something somewhere. You need to change pistons to deal w/ a supercharger and get a compression ration in the 8 to 1 range.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I confess to be partial to the small block 350 (for now anyway [​IMG]) but in this case; I'd have to agree with the others; the "hassle" &amp; cost of swapping a nicely built 454 would be far better than supercharging a 350! And probably far more useful too in a 4x4

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

9. If you are willing to go through the trouble of either, a 383 ci stroker would be about the same amount of labor, maybe less. It would keep the weight down, and would be a good amount of horsepower. Plus, there would be a whole lot less drivetrain work that would have to be done.

God has a hard on for Marines, because we keep Heaven chock full of fresh souls!