Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Block ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JunkYardCrawler, Sep 19, 2000.

1. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

Would it be a good idea to go to a big bolck in my truck. I'm looking to do some rock crawling and that sort of thing. or would it be better just to build a 383? and if a big block would it be better to go with like a 454 or a 455(out of a pontiac)

From the Grave to eat the Jeeps

2. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I would go with the big block. A 454 would not be too hard to find. The upgrades for the big block are endless there are just as many aftermarket parts for 454 as there are for 350. Right now I have a 454 in my 86 Chevy Pickup and I may put it in my 74 Blazer. But, I have been kicking around the idea of putting in a 502/502 in there. A long block does cost $5,500 though. But, it is a brand new engine with 502 horsepower! and rebuilding an engine can cost $3,000 if you have a lot of work done to it. Check out this website for the 502: http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/parts/performance_top_frame.htm

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

ZEPPLIN

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am a big Pontiac man and I have a 400 that I was goign to make a 455 out of and run it in my Jimmy, but I thought of this.

When you are out on the trail and you break something engine wise, then you run down to the parts store in BFE and talk to the old hilljack(no offense to anyone) behind the counter, he will more likely have a part for a stock chevy then a Ponitac!

i would love to have the low end torque of the Pontiac, but hate to have to run into that problem and dont want to carry a ton of spare parts for the enigne, just in case!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Big block all the way, just use a common one so you can find parts if you need them on the trail !
    Good luck

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Nothing wrong with a stock 454. Add an aluminum intake and tubular headers and you're close to the weight of a smallblock (chevy). No replacement for displacement. I would stick to a chevy bbc if only for parts availability. For the driveability manners that you seem to want (niceNsmooth, torquey, etc) you will get more bang for the buck from a 454 IMHO. Used 454's go for $650-1000 around here.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

6. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

totally i just finished putting a 454 in mine...LOVE IT!!, but like the previous post said add an aluminum intake and headers, maybe a cam so the bigblock can come to life.

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

7. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I say go for the Pontiac engine. The have more stroke than a 454 and longer rods than a 454. You will get a stronger bottom end torque than a 454. Just be different and put the Pontiac in. Look here and see what this guy says about chevy's http://ourworld.cs.com/gaotman428/pontiacengines.htm
    You will probably get better mileage with pontiac engine.

Donovan