Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big blocks are heavy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by joe84bb, May 19, 2000.

1. joe84bb

joe84bb Registered Member

I've submitted earlier posts about a 4" sus. lift, but I wasn't fully thinking at the time. (I only have time to check the forum at 5 a.m.) But, I have a 454 in a 1984 k5 and, with the extra weight in front, what would it take to make ol' bessy level & 4" taller?

I know just enough to know that I'll never know enough.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have been told numerous times that Big blocks are only 150lbs. heavier than a small block. That isn't bad.

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I run a 454 and have installed two brands of 6" lifts in my K5. They both sat level with the rear. I also have a Warn 12k winch in the front. No extra mods where made to the front springs or perches.

Shawn
    87 K5 454

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Dude, I think the heavier engine would do you a favor. Blazers are usually high in the front after a lift...I think a BBC would level it out and make it look nicer.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes 73K5 you are right about the front pookin up abit more after a lift is done to a K5 and the reason behind that is cuz most all spring packs are designed by using the weight of a PickUp and as we all know the Blazer's rear is MUCH heavier than a P/Us rear! So when I put a new spring pack in the rear of my K5 I bought a 5 1/2" rated pack and 4" rateing for the front and my rig sits darn near perfict with mabie a C hair higher in the rear if you stare at it long enough! anyhoo don't think the BB would make that mush of a diff.!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

6. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

MINE SAGS!! The rear end sags just an inch lower than the front. I'm going to buy 2 more add-a-leafs to drop on there. I have 4" blocks and supposedly 2" add-a-leafs. YEAH RIGHT!! I think you will be ok. I'll hopefully get my Jimmy on here soon and you can see what I mean. Later

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

7. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Blzr4x4ngkid,

Why don't you add a rear 4"shackle flip for $150 and then add a 2 or 3" block to get your ride level. It would ride a lot better than the add-a-leafs. Just a suggestion.

8. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I have a 71 with a 4' lift and a big block and the front end was atill up more than the back,so added aleaf to rear end and smoothed it all right out.

Your right I dont understand the jeep thing!?