Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big blocks with FI

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Jul 26, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Saw an '87 Burb with 454 in my local Truck Trader............guy is out of town on business, so can't ask him if it's factory, but what is the deal on BBC/FI in Burbs? From the other forum I was told there are no BBCFI motors from 89-91, but this being an 87, is it possible? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Is it a 2WD? If not, then it didn't come from the factory with a 454, either carbed or injected. The 2WD, 3/4-tons were available with the 454. I'm looking at an '87 factory service manual and it shows that the 8th character of the VIN will tell you what engine an '87 came with. N means it came with 454 TBI, while W means it came with a 454 4BBL. If it's a 4WD, then that letter will most likely be a K, 350 TBI. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the `no 454 in 4x4's' is falling more and more to Myth status everytime I review it. the problem is, I've seen way too many 4x4's bearing a 454, with the VIN's to match, to argue against it any more. ( I almost bought a 77 1 ton crewcab longbed 4x4 single rear wheel with a 454 in it, that came factory)

I was pretty sure FI ended up in almost all chevy trucks regardless of engine size in 87, so that they could get past emissions with them.

-Rich

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Uh, this IS the Suburban forum. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif 454's weren't available in 4WD Suburbans of that time period. They did put 454's in 4WD K30's back then. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've had four 4wd suburbans. Although I have SEEN lots of 4WD Suburbans with 454's in them prior to 1992 - THEY DID NOT COME FROM THE FACTORY with them. ONLY 2WD suburbans came with 454's. I specified options for and ordered a new 4wd 3/4 ton Suburban in 84 from a dealer - I tried to order a 454 - the dealer called and tried to order a 454 - GM WOULD NOT put one in a 4WD suburban. I am a suburban lover and a 454 fan, but I have never found a person who owned or bought from the FACTORY, a 454 4WD suburban prior to 1992. I now own a 1993 4WD suburban with a 454 (factory installed). I will put money on it - that GM never made a 454 4WD suburban for private ownership. Now - I'm NOT saying that the Military could NOT have gotten some special ordered - or that some Utility or mining company could NOT have special ordered some. I've never seen one though. And believe me I've kept my eyes open. I would say that the MYTH is that GM made 454 4WD Suburbans prior to 92 - NOT the other way around.

6. azblazor

Every light duty chevy/gmc truck engine from 1987 on is fuel injected. That includes v6's and v8's (also 454). S10's had some FI engines in 86.

7. roadhouse66

roadhouse66 Registered Member

I thougt 1980 and older 4x4 Burbs where availible with a 454? I know I saw that as and option somewhere.

8. azblazor

Suburbans of all years had 454's - but NOT 4WD's until 1992.

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    In response to
    Poster: azblazor
    Subject: Re: Big blocks with FI

Suburbans of all years had 454's - but NOT 4WD's until 1992.

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats a rumor I used to strongly subscribe to, until I saw several factory stock suburbans with both 454's and D60's up front, as well as VIN numbers to support it. same with the pickup lines. the guides say they didn't, and the parts store say they didn't, but they did. they were basicaly all custom orders, through the dealer to the factory to get the BBC with the 4wd, ( much like the trailering specials/camper specials)

I was almost fortunate enough to get a 77 K30 Crewcab with 454/400/205 combo, that the guy bought new, in 77, but it was sold by the time I got ahold of him. the guides, ( including the chevy made maintenance manual I have sitting on my desk at home) all claim this vehicle does not exist, but having seen it with my own 2 eyes, I know it does. if the guide was wrong about a K30 pickup, why wouldn't it be wrong about a K20 suburban? in the case of the `custom deluxe' line, the way my first truck was ordered, was the previous owner sat down with a dealer, and a checklist. every option he decided he wanted on the truck, got a checkmark, and the price was added to the base total. with something like that, its not inconcievable that someone couldn't have ordered a 454 with a 4 speed manual, and a 203 full time 4wd setup, on 1/2 ton running gear, or conversely, a 250 I-6, backing a TH350, with 1 ton running gear front and back.

-Rich

10. azblazor

I ordered a suburban just the way you described in 1984 - as I stated in a post above. A 454 COULD NOT be ordered in a 4wd suburban. People may have TOLD you they had a factory 4wd suburban - lots of people don't know what they are taking about but act like they do. You show me a FACTORY 4wd 454 suburban made before the 1992 change over and then I'll believe it. I've been looking for one for 46 years, I've spent 8 years in the military all over the world, and 20 years in heavy construction and industry - AND I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE - EVEN THOUGH I'VE BEEN VERY - VERY INTERESTED IN FINDING ONE. So you say you've seen a 4wd suburban with a factory 454 and matching VIN - I call bullshit on that. Show me.

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

46 years? even tho the 454 wasn't put into production until the early 70's when they stroked a 427? if I recall my engine history properly, the BBC made its debute in 1965, although I'm prolly off by a few/several years.

just because you havn't seen one, does not mean they do not exist... would they have wasted the time and effort to drill/punch the holes for a BBC engine mount on the mounting blocks, if they never put a bigblock in it?( especialy considering teh 4x4 crossmember doesn't resemble the 2x4 crossmember in the slightest) besides, money can make anything happen. the dealer may not have had the BBC in the option book, but I bet a little persistence on your part could have netted you a BBC K30 suburban. they are after all, there to please you, the customer, and willing to go a little farther, if it adds into thier commission. you can not tell me they don't exist, since you've never verified they don't exist, by either being a car sales man, or breaking into chevrolets office of records, and search through every single build sheet.

who's to say they didn;t sell 454 K20/k30's to the military? they sold 6 door suburbans to the government, and that would take a hella lot more work, then dumping a different sized engine in a truck. heck, according to everythign I;ve read about, they didn't even make K30's until 77. while this may be true, I'd be willing to be they had a heavy duty option that one coudl have asked for to get a D60 up front... then there's also all the smaller promotions like the Beau James camping special, the bonanza special, the coleman camping special, and hell, even the blazer challets are out there. why can't there be a 454 powered stock factory suburban with 4wd? I mean come on, if they put pontiac and olds disels in chevy trucks, why not a BBC in a 4wd? I call your bullshit, and tell you show me otherwise.

-Rich

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've seen a few....seen them running down the railroad tracks with the track wheels attached to them, they use them for doing railroad surveying and repairing...BBC K30 Burbs...I tried to buy one from Northern Pacific Railroad, but they were asking to much for it.

13. azblazor

Show some proof that one exists. Factory option book, picture of a vin plate, anything besides saying "I saw one once". You can't - because they DON'T EXIST. My "showing" you they don't exist consists of the fact nobody has one - and no documentation exists of one.

My post above also states that I don't deny that somewhere - somehow the military or heavy industry didn't get some assembled SOMEHOW - most probably from an AFTERMARKET CONVERSION company. But they NEVER put one out of a showroom to the public "as far as I can discern from a significant amount of interest and personal experience". 46 years is how old I am. I grew up in Michigan not too far from Detroit and have always been enamored with the suburban. It's hard for me to walk by one without talking to the owner.

Just because a 454 bolts into a suburban doesn't mean they put them in at the factory. These things are built on assembly lines with interchangble components. Just because you find a dually suburban or a 4wd suburban with a 454 in it - doesn't mean the factory made them that way.

And I'm sorry actually, for getting into this discussion. When I saw </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the `no 454 in 4x4's' is falling more and more to Myth status everytime I review it

[/ QUOTE ] - it drew me in like a fish on a hook. Next time you see one of these take a picture or get me a name and number - after all they are so common - right. I'll pay for your membership here on ck5.com for a confirmed factory 454 4wd suburban manufactured by the factory, before 1992 model year.

14. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

wow yall are acting like scientists debating over the existance of bigfoot. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. roadhouse66

roadhouse66 Registered Member

Okay question....how high priced are 2wd 454 Burby's in the 87-91years? How about prior to the EFI?

Reason asking....my 86 body is in bad shape, and have thought about buying a 2wd with blown motor and good body, so I could switch the two. I also have a 355ci....soooo if I could find a 2wd 454efi, that would be the cats meow.

Now another question, I have thought about putting a 92 and up body on my 86 frame...will it work? I know people who have done it with pickups. Maybe I could find a 92-93 2wd 454?