Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Big Brother

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zack, Jul 10, 2000.

1. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Hey sorry this ain't bout a Blazer but its big brother the BURBAN!! Okay here's the story. There is a 'chevy haven' outsida town and he's got a bunch of chevy stuff. He is the guy that I bought my body tub, tailgate, and topper off of. I want a sub though! Well heres' the situation. He has a 84 4x4 sub with no axles (half ton ones were already taken out) and the body is starting to rust. I said I didn't want that body but I wanted that frame. I said he could keep the 6.2 liter , blown tranny, 208 I just wanted the frame. Then right next to that baby is ANOTHER 84 but its 2x4. It is a much better body but not PERFECT. Its good enough that I can finese it though. Another thing I like about it is that it has barn doors in back instead of tailgate. I love that option. Also the guy hit a deer and replaced the fenders and hood. There are brand new fenders and hood on there. Its pretty damn good actually. This one is a diesel too. How hard is the diesel to 454 swap gonna be? What we are gonna do is torch off the bolts on the 4x frame and use a loader to lift off the body. He will take that body and junk it and I will take the frame home and beef it up and stuff. Then I will pull the good 2x4 home and take the body off carefully and combine it with the other sub to make a SUPERSUB!! LOL Then he will take that frame and driveline back when I am done with it. How much is this gonna cost me you ask? Well he said 5 cnotes and its mine? So do you think this is worth $500? I certainly do.. Now I gotta conquer my parents into thinkig that too! Also he has a 454 in a 1 ton pickup with about 100K on it. He said I can drive it around and hear it run. $500 is this worth it? I am thinking its a good price for the complete engine. I already have the th350 tranny with np205 so that is covered. I will be getting 3/4 ton axles from him too. They are gonna be $125 per axle. I already saw the rear I want from him. Do you think I should get a dually rear and put a dually in the back? So for 1250 dollars I could have a complete suburban , 454, and 3/4 ton axles. Man that sounds sweet to me. How about you? Now on the title thing for the trucks. Since they are both 84's I could probably get away with using just one title but will probably do it right and get an assembled vehical title for it. I am almost positive he has both titles. What should i check the body for when I look at it again. It just rained heavily here so it was kinda marshy around the body. I didn't get in the truck. Just opened the door. I will look at it later this week when it dries a little.. I will probably go get some pics tomarrow for you guys.

Tell me what you think

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

3. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you are on to something great !!! I just wish I was closer too you so I could help take one of those diesels off your hands .

4. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys.. now just send donations to

Zack Carlson
    Lee, IL

Hey if you ever need a diesel in IL he has TONS of them. Also if you are looking for 3/4 ton axles they are 125 an axle. If you ever need any parts really he has them. They are mainly for trucks.. He has a couple blazers but not in good shape

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I would say, since you dont live close to many tight trails made by Jeeps, you will do fine with a Burban. That is a great price for a 454. Most 454s sell for around $500-$750 used around here, but they do not have any pullys and brackets. These items can be hard to find so make sure to get it all. Subs are awesome when lifted, but dont go too high. You should not have the driveline angle problems that you would with a high lifted K5. I would just lift her enough for 38.5" tires. I think 8" would do. Stay away from the Body lifts. Overall, this sounds like a great deal. I wish I had the Chevy Haven near me. I will say, when I drove by, I just about ran into a telephone pole because I was checking it all out. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

6. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

hey zack do me a solid and e-mail me "chevy havens" address and phone number if you have it. I 'm interested in a diesel. by the way the 78-83 suburban chassis are the best. I had a couple of those rigs, they are great. If you have any questions e-mail me. JS

7. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

8. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

About hitting the pole driving away.. thats what they all say LOL .. its a great place but you gotta find the owner. I now know his phone number so I can call him and tell him to go out there and stuff. Hey does $100 for a COMPLETE 84 front clip sound good? the fenders are decent but have couple dents in it. When I say complete i mean just undoing the body moutns and where it attaches to the body and lift it all off.

9. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Umm what's wrong with the 84 chassis? you said 78-83 are the best. What changed in 84? One of the reasons I love this burb is the barn doors! I don't knwo why but I just loveem.. All the glass seems to be tinted too. It looks factory to boot! The rear is REALLY dark which is a good thing.. Speaking of that how much are those bench seats that fold down into a bed? LOL Hey I dont' have his number offhand but you can call 815-555-1212 and ask for a D. Hodge in Shabbona, IL .. The address is Lee, IL. The town is REALLY small. Ask mudzer.. LOL If you wanna call me at 815-824-2465 you can give me all your specs and I can pass them on to him and tell him to pull one out and have it ready for ya. Ask for Zack

Oh by the way the burban is the DADDY of the blazer/jimmy LOL

see the surburban and a mack truck got it on and 9 months down the assembly line the blazer popped out. Thats' why they have the gm quality and the beefiness of a mack truck!

10. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Zachory,

You should not have to ask that question! LOL of course its a good deal. I payed $200 for a rusted front clip that needed alot of parts. Be sure to get the cowl panel and hinges from the other truck.

[​IMG]
    Mudzer 1978/91 K5

12. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Hey Neil its Zachary not Zachory.. LOL and i go by Zack anyways.. BUT back to the subject at hand. I won't need that clip anymore cuase the body comes with it. This clip was gonna be for my k5. I think I might try and keep that too! We'll see how the smack down comes from my parents.LoL Yeah hinges and panel were included in price. I told him EVERYTHING

13. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Here's my plans for the sub...
    454 mildly built.. (ain't going balls out this time)
    th350 backed by np205
    14 bolt filled with a detroit and 5.13 gears
    44 with moly shafts and a lsd and 5.13 gears
    8" alcan front springs
    6" tuff country rears with 4" shackle flip
    Maybe velvet ride shackles
    39.5 or 44" tires
    I am thinking of boxing the frame while I have the frame totally exposed. How hard is it? I have a welder and am getting pretty good at it.
    I think I am gonna weld in one of them steering braces while i have it exposed too and mabye a ARG super gear box and pump
    I will also have to have driveshafts made. I know a place that makes new ones here for $145 with ujoints and all. Is this a good price?
    I think I might put fender flares on but for now i would just remove inner fender wells and cut the fenders. I wanna make some new inner fender wells outta flat stock so it looks cleaner anyways. I am also gonna run new 3" exhuast tucked up close to frame while I have body off. I was also thinking of making a box outta expanded steel and putting a tranny cooler in the box and mount it under the pass. seat but attached off teh frame. This way its protected from rocks and such becuase its in the box but the box doesn't hinder airflow. I am don't plan on putting lightbars or anythign like that on it. I want a simple BEAST! I mgiht make a rope ladder so i can get in but that's it LOL

If you guys have any suggestions or anythign PLEASE post here so I can plan all this stuff out. I also wanna know your past experiences with this sorta thing too.
    Thanks

14. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Didn't u say that you r building your blazer up too? With 44s?[​IMG] How much money you got to build 2 4x4 with big lifts and tires?[​IMG]

<font color=red>Chevy4x4<font color=red>[​IMG]
    http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com

15. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

Well that's teh thing. If I get the burb I am pretty sure I am gonna have to get rid of the k5. The burb would be easier to put 44's on and stuff. I think I am gonna give 'chevy haven' my k5 for some credit towards the burb. It'll only be a shell, tires , 10 and 12 bolt. I will probably only get $150-200 outta it. That way I won't have to come up with so much cash

16. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    Your plans sound good! but I would go with a T400 tranny instead of the T350.

17. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Well, I just did the diesel to 454 swap and it really wasn't that hard. Just make sure you get all of the accesory brackets that go with the 454. Other than that, it's just a matter of 86ing the diesel wiring & componets, flushing the tank, and a few other little things. [​IMG] Good luck.

<font color=blue>~BigBurban</font color=blue>
    [​IMG]